Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Time Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Time Rib Roast

I am making a boneless rib roast on my WSM 22 for the first time. I have followed the recipe here step by step. After only 2 hours, the meat is at 100. It is approximately 12 Lbs. The smoker has run solid between 230 and 240. I am seriously worried. Dinner is not until six. I had figured at least five hours. Does a rib roast have a stall like other cuts of meat? I sure hope so. Any advice welcome and very appreciated.

I have done numerous rib roasts on my Weber kettle using the Smokenator and the PartyQ. I have had time variances as well. Some animals are just more ornery than others. Did you take the bones off? Are you doing the reverse sear? I wouldn't sweat the time. Dinner can always be a little late. Rib roasts do not stall because you are only cooking to 135 (or 125 with the reverse sear).

Comment

Originally posted by FLBuckeye View Post
      I have done numerous rib roasts on my Weber kettle using the Smokenator and the PartyQ. I have had time variances as well. Some animals are just more ornery than others. Did you take the bones off? Are you doing the reverse sear? I wouldn't sweat the time. Dinner can always be a little late. Rib roasts do not stall because you are only cooking to 135 (or 125 with the reverse sear).
      I guess that makes me feel a bit better. Based on the recipe on this site, i was going to take it off at 115 to do the sear. I think i will let it go to maybe 125 and then hold in a cambro and sear just before we eat at 6 PM? Or should I just sear it in and put it in the box and leave it until 6:30. And yes... it is boneless.

Comment

Searing right before eating is better. Not uncommon for meats to initially climb in temp rather quickly. I see the same thing in sausage. It will look like them things are gonna get done in 2 hours, and the next thing I know I am entering hour 5.

If you sear it, then "rest" it, you are asking for some serious carry-over cooking, and a softening of the bark/crust, that could negate what the sear accomplished, with respect to the exterior.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; April 4, 2015, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• maloff28
          maloff28 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Jerod. It just kept climbing. No stall. I was expecting 5-6 hours (leaving extra time just in case) but it reached 130 after 3.5 hours and I dropped the smoker to ~200 for the last 45 minutes of that two hours. I took it off, wrapped it in foil and let it rest in a cooler packed with blankets. It came out great, it was just not as hot as I would have liked it to be by the time it was served.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          maloff28, a quick re-sear on teh grill next time that happens can heat 'er back up quick.

I had that happen on the last brisket I made. I planned a 14hr cook (including cambro hold), woke up at 3:30 and had it on the smoker at 4:30. Stupid thing was ready for the cambro at 10:30 am, already at 200 degrees in the point, the flat was there an hour earlier. I was dumbfounded. It happens when you least expect it and it can really mess with your plans.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here