Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Pastrami with 10% of the salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Pastrami with 10% of the salt

I crave salty foods and my doctor has been nagging about cutting down for years. In a recent visit, he basically threatened me with unpleasant results if I kept ignoring him. So I've been working on it. docblonder has a recipe for dry cured pastrami on his site HERE that uses about 10% as much salt as more conventional recipes. Decided to give it a try with a piece of (select) boneless beef short rib I had in the freezer. Here's the pictures:

1.75 pound boneless beef short rib.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	763526

Equilibrium cured with 1.9 gram cure#1, 1.0 gram pickling salt vacuum bagged in fridge for 5 days.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	763527

Applied our version of pastrami rub and refrigerated 2 days loosely covered.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	763528

Smoked at 220º for 8 hours (IT 175º), chilled vacuum bagged and refrigerated for about a week.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	763529

Sous vide per David Parrish method HERE at 195º for 4 hours.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	763530

Baked a batch of no-salt rye buns.

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	763531

Sandwich with pastrami, Boar's Head low sodium munster, no-salt refrigerator pickle, tomato, mustard, mayo.

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	763532

Great sandwich, about 250mg sodium, same sandwich with conventional ingredients over 1500mg.
    My palate would prefer more salt, but that's sort-of the idea, doc says I'll get used to it.

Overkill? Probably, but interesting experiment and this is my new go-to pastrami recipe. Just put a small well marbled tri-tip with this cure in the fridge. (Tri-tip was on sale at Seabra and I grabbed a couple).

No InSalting that meal. Looks delicious.

Comment

hmm. I would eat that in a NY minute. But kraut would be added.

Comment

Yeah, I tried and definitely too little salt for me. Bland City. Glad you found something!

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          How come you still burning coal beneath your name.

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, it's bland and not salty enough for my taste buds, but supposedly my heart likes it. This has about 0.3% salt in the cure. More conventional corned beef cures are in the range 2.5% to 3%. Some day when I'm is a "science project" mood maybe I'll try various salt percentages and see how much is needed to make it "salty enough".

"Doc says I'll get used to it" Lol. Good on you for overcoming hurdles and still eating good in the neighborhood. Looks wonderful!

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea, I forgot to ask my Doc if he passed his taste bud training class at med school.
          Last edited by johnec00; November 1, 2019, 12:44 PM.

That sir is some killer looking pastrami. I love the cut of meat as well, I know that had to be delicious. Also like the fact that you equilibrium cured it, something I've been meaning to try. Thanks for the great post & pix.

Comment

Looks delicious. You can always add salt to the sammie if you prefer, and for sure it wouldn't be as much as the amount of salt you originally eliminated. I think you should send a copy of your post and photos to your doctor.

Congrats on being a good patient and taking wise advice to heart. Literally.

Kathryn

Comment

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanx.

We must have the same Dr. as I am a well known sodium fiend.
          Great job on that samage.

Comment

Great looking cook and write-up. As you find more subs, keep posting them. There are likely a lot of members in your position who would like to hear about your successes and failures in recipe adjustments.

Comment

Looks great! Coincidentally, I credit
              docblonder for the 4 hours at 195Ëš F Sous Vide portion of that recipe I posted a few years back.

I met him in Boston while traveling for work, and he'd mentioned that while we talked pastrami while eating pastrami!

Comment

• docblonder
                docblonder commented
                Editing a comment
                Great looking pastrami. Up here in Boston, squirrels are storing nuts, and I smoke and vacuum-bag-freeze a couple of 10 lb pastrami slabs for the winter- just in case the snow fall gets out of hand. Leaves time for concentrating on baking rye bread.

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanx docblonder Here in cntral Florida we haven't had snow since Christmas Eve '89, so that's not a worry. I have been eyeing your Danish rye process for a while, but have not gotten up the nerve to try it. Another of those "some day" things. BTW, the I couldn't find a source of the Goldrush starter, will any available sourdough starter work? How about just the local flora?
                Last edited by johnec00; November 2, 2019, 09:35 AM.

• docblonder
                docblonder commented
                Editing a comment
                Any sourdough starter is fine- but the rise time will vary. Someday there will be time for rye....

johnec00 -- you wrote "...Equilibrium cured with 1.9 gram cure#1, 1.0 gram pickling salt vacuum bagged in fridge for 5 days...."

You also say the starting meat weight was 1.75 lb (795 g). And in Comment 4.2 you say "0.3% salt in the cure".

0.3% of 795 grams calculates out to be 2.4 grams of salt, not 1.0 gram. What am I missing or misinterpreting? Set me straight, please!

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman is correct. There's also some round-off involved. Here's the calculation . . . Best I can estimate, docblonder 140ppm sodium nitrite works out to 2.24g/kg cure#1. Then his 2:1 ratio is 1.12g/kg salt (assuming approximate same weight/volume for #1 and pickling salt). My piece of rib weighed 839g, so it needed 1.88g cure#1 which contains 1.76g salt. Adding 1g salt gives 2.76g, or 0.33%. The 1.75 pound was just a sloppy wag, Sorry for the confusion.
                Last edited by johnec00; November 1, 2019, 12:25 PM.

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                By the way, none of these numbers need to be taken too literally. Cure#1 quantity ±10% would still be perfectly OK and probably would not change the taste much. Salt anywhere from 0 to over 3% or more would be OK, although at the extremes inedible.
                Last edited by johnec00; November 1, 2019, 07:03 PM.

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah.... Makes sense now. Thanks for setting me straight on the numbers, johnec00. I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Tried another batch of the docblonder cured and Sous Vide finished boneless beef rib pastrami. Increased the salt percentage in the cure from 0.3% to 0.5% and added 10 grams more sugar to 50 grams rub. Both my daughter an I thought the taste was much improved. The extra sugar seems to add flavor to compensate for lack of salt. Here's some pictures:

Raw

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	780511
              Rubbed

Name:	rubbed.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	780512
              Smoked

Name:	smoked.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	780515
              Finished

Name:	cooked.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	780513
              And packaged for freezer

Name:	packaged.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	780514

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, I just ate my last slices of pastrami. You got me wanting more more more...

That looks amazing! I have only used brisket in the past-now I want to try other cuts!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here