Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have some tips for smoked brisket tacos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have some tips for smoked brisket tacos?

I have the brisket. I've had these in Austin at Valentina's, but would like a home version.

Did you smoke the brisket yet ?
    If you did and it’s spot on ,,,grab a slice and eat it and take a bite of a home made corn tortilla and take a swig of a Lone Star !!!!
    If it’s kinda dry ,,,queso fresco, slice of avocado, splash of sour cream ,touch of horseradish,,,,
    and a beer
    if not,try somethin’ else

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      My advice would be to make alot. Toss some green sauce on it and I can mow down a plate of these in no time..

• btuckertx
      btuckertx commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a start... brisket smoked... corn tortillas ready.... not sure about the horseradish, but we can work around that.

I don't know about Valentina's. I make tacos out of brisket and tri-tip. I start with a sauce - it can be a green sauce as Ahumadora mentioned. For beef, I usually use a red sauce. For pork and chicken I use a green sauce.

With tri-itp I use very little sauce. With a brisket, it would depend on how moist it is and if you are serving the tacos the same day as the meat. Typically, I use very little sauce at all on the first day because the meat coming off is moist and I don't want to distract from it's flavor. If it has been sitting in the fridge and I am reheating, I mix some red sauce with a bit of butter. I really like a fresh pico with my tacos. Use fresh onions, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, cilantro add a bit of salt, lime juice and some cumin and oregano. Taste and adjust with some pepper, if you need to. Pico is a taste, adjust, taste again thing,

I like to garnish with avocado and cabbage or lettuce. Serve with some sour cream and salsa on the side. For first day - fresh off the smoker - tacos, I go heavy on the meat and lighter on the garnish. With second day meat, I go about 50/50. Cheese is always an option and people have a lot of opinions. You can add some Mexican cheese onto the meat or onto the garnish. You can leave the cheese out. You can go with a mild jack cheese both ways or you can go with cheddar which some say really overpowers the meal and others say adds intrigue to it.

With fresh off the grill/smoker tacos, I always serve fresh soft heated corn tortillas. For second or third day meat I go between soft and hard shell tortillas (I don't buy shells, I make them).

Having never been to your restaurant, I don't know if this helps.

Comment

• btuckertx
      btuckertx commented
      Editing a comment
      Valentina's is a 7 hour drive, so we don't go there often. Being from SW Oklahoma, food options are irregular. The wife makes a killer pico de gallo, just as you describe. Think we'll be going in that direction.

just needs some pickled jalapenos, or hot kosher dill pickles, a bit of extra sharp cheddar, and a dousing in hot sauce.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      You forgot the velveeta.
      Last edited by Bkhuna; October 31, 2019, 06:41 AM.

Oooooh. You need green chile for these. And being in Southwest OK, you should be able to get green chile.

Roasted green chile that is chopped and mixed in the chopped brisket. Then take some corn tortillas and place on a griddle or flat top. Warm and place some type of cheese, cheddar, or a mix and let it start to melt and add the brisket and green chile. Let the tortilla brown just a bit, for a little textural balance. Fold it over and serve.

this is how I make my brisket tacos. They are wonderful! And the brisket remains as the star this way.

enjoy however you go!
    Last edited by barelfly; October 30, 2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Hatch chili's are the best.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang man!!

I just cube up my smoked brisket and give it a brief sauteé with some left over juices. Then I make a pico de gallo. Add some cotija cheese and fresh cilantro and occasionally some small green onions.

Comment

Radish, chopped onion, cilantro and salsa verde on a fresh corn tortilla warmed up on a comal/griddle.

Comment

• DurhamBuckeye
        DurhamBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never made brisket tacos, but the combo of radish and cilantro on beef with corn tortilla is -chef's kiss- I typically just squeeze lime juice on as well, but will try salsa verde next time.

Never made them, but, I would think I would work from the point side. I enjoy a smoked Pasiila pepper with beef. probably some feta, and mix up some siracha sourcream avocado type of combo... But, I have no isea what the tacos are like where you were talking about, nor have I made tacos with beef outside anything other then pulled chuck, or flank steak. But,smoking, and then rendering the discard up or cut up brisket in a dutch oven with a bit of cumin, cilantro, and onion. Might have to play with that myself sometime, I would also think a smaller taco shell so the brisket is the star.

Comment

DurhamBuckeye I forgot to mention squeeze of lime.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats for the Margarita! A fish bowl size Margarita goes down well with a plate of spicy Brisket tacos....

There are some great comments here, so I don't have much to add. I have done this however. Take the point of the brisket and make some small burnt ends. A slice or shred of brisket is great but can be a tad dry or not be terribly different than other beef cuts. If you make small burnt ends and use that in your taco you get a wonderful smokey crunch that adds a perfect texture to a soft tortilla and soft toppings. Cheers!

Comment

I like some charred red onion with that. Admittedly I’m not really a Pico fan as I don’t eat raw onion.

cilantro, red onion, Cotija, and the green chili like barelfly mentioned above. Jackpot!

Comment

Next time around, smoke a chuck roast or two for tacos and pull it. Mix in any juices from the wrapping (crutch) step, then serve with great toppings and sauces as desired. A pulled beef chuck roast, in my opinion, tastes better than brisket (especially the flat) in tacos. Last time I served them up, a 13 year old boy in the extended family grabbed a large cereal bowl and filled it with the pulled beef then topped with seasonings and ate it with warm tortillas. I actually envied his inventiveness.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; January 25, 2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• btuckertx
              btuckertx commented
              Editing a comment
              I can get my butcher to do that. He usually gets two steaks off the chuck eye end. That might be nice smoked and pulled. Thanks!

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I just get the chuck roasts for sale at the grocery. Make sure they're in the 3 lb range, and are nicely marbled, btuckertx . They're so much fun to smoke and taste terrific.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here