Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trout(man) Tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trout(man) Tail

I know i know. You see trout in the beef channel and say what is going on? But this here is oxtail inspired by Troutman so im taking some liberties.

A little bit ago, Mr Troutman posted a recipe for smoked and braised lamb shanks which stuck in my mind. The he posted in the show us thread about oxtail done the same way and that stuck in my mind even more. So, courtesy of Troutman, im am doing some ox tail smoked and braised. Kinda following his recipe, but mostly for timing.
    • HEAVY dry brine overnight (note i am going heavy on the salt here and will NOT add salt to the mirepoix and braising liquid, will adjust when done if needed
    • Next day, rub in whos your sister sauce and season with pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and italian seasoning (green herbs)
    • Smoke around 250 for 1.5 hours with cherry wood
    • Meanwhile, chop up some carrots, celery, onions and mushroom mix
    • When the smoke is close to being done, saute down the mirepoix with some oil...again, no salt
    • Add tomato paste and cook down a little...about 2 mins
    • Add red wine and beef stock and cook off the wine
    • Add smoked tails and stick in the oven at 350 for 2 hours, flip them after one hour.

Im still in the oven phase right now but will post finished pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1142-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	761713
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1143-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	761719Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1146-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.18 MB ID:	761717Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1147-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	761714Click image for larger version  Name:	59388201753__7159E75F-FC7C-4471-8D9E-870149D911EE-1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.82 MB ID:	761718
    Last edited by grantgallagher; October 27, 2019, 09:34 AM.

Wow. Just wow. I’ll swim in that salty, fatty pot.

Comment

So this here is one of the only downsides to hanging out in the Pit. Just when I thought my cooking game was pretty good, I come across something like this that lets the wind out of my sails. On the plus side, this place definitely serves to keep my ego in check. This looks awesome and I now need to clean the lick marks off of my monitor.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        pkadare hey man...its all Troutman fault. that dude kills me with every post. Im like crap, i need to go buy asparagus and cook that steak in my freezer and just hope it looks that good.

That dish is perfect for the weather up here today, something that just gets in and warms you right up.
      Nice job.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a blustery day in the 100 Acre Wood.

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Its rainy and miserable here. Perfect weather for a scotsman!

77 degrees and sun shining today boys, good to be in the South. Looks like you nailed it Grant. I meant to mention to you to braise the oxtails longer than the lamb shanks, they are a bit tougher. Needless to say I hope you enjoyed what is a relatively simple dish to put together. Can't wait to see the final parting shots !!!

Comment

Add me to the crowd. I just ate lunch, but am hungry again...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	80D6A9B4-4B60-40C7-A899-B19D2982A85A.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	761794

Comment

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful! Bet it was tender delicious!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Booooyaaaa

Every time I see this it sticks in my mind - shanks or tails - now yours is sticking in my mind a little bit more... I need the aroma and taste plug-ins for this.

smokin fool is right, this is a great transition time of year to dive into the colder weather dishes - my faves for sure!

That's a great looking plate of food.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I enjoy these braised dishes all year long, to heck with weather when it comes to good eats !!!

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman I just bought Test Kitchen's 'How to Braise Everything' from Amazon - there's definitely dishes in there I want to make all year long. I needed to up my game just a bit, and I like the book. One thing I do make year long is Coddle (I'm Irish).

Oh my.....

Comment

Yep, I did some yesterday. They are in our regular rotation - at least once a month.

Comment

our costco just started having them on what i hope to be a regular basis. so hopefully this becomes a standard rotation

Comment

Holy cow! Have never done this, but will soon! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here