Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Tri-Tip

Couple quick pics of my recent TT. It was a small TT, just over 1.5 lbs. Perfect for the three of us.

Use two rubs, front sear, mop it every few minutes and finish indirect. Delicious.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TripleB; October 25, 2019, 11:39 AM.

Love me some TT. Nice work !!!

Comment

Looks great! TT is one of our favorites

Comment

Love that stuff. You may want to try cutting it the other direction and have a go at it that way and see how you like it. In my experience a small turn can mean a lot in a tri tip.

it has a couple of turns in it to catch the cross grain.

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that’s how I do it. As you know, a TT has two muscles. I separated the two muscles and then cut across the grain. It doesn’t quite look that way in the 1st pic, but it was.

What did you mop with? It looks really moist.

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          An emulsion of red wine, red wine vinegar, oil, Dijon mustard, garlic and parsley ( for color).

Good looking cook and great pics TripleB Thanks for sharing.

Smaller tri-tips are becoming more common in my neck of the woods. I was told they sell better. Apparently the $6.99/pound price resulting in a $28.00 to $30.00 piece of meat was not selling as quickly. So they took some of the larger tri-tips (what I call the big boomerangs) and separated them at the fat seam (where the 2 opposing grains meet) and package the pieces separately. I have not cooked one of the separated ones yet but the butcher confirmed the result is a single direction grain of meat and it cooks up just as good.

Thanks again for sharing. You reminded me I have a trimmed up tri-tip in the freezer just waiting!

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s interesting. A friend of mine (80+ yrs), who was a butcher told me to always buy the larger TT’s (rib roasts too) because they probably came from a steer and he said that the meat from a steer is usually better marbled than a heifer.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here