Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a beef tenderloin.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmott7
    commented on 's reply
    1/4 cup. Good catch. And Steve Vojtek, you're welcome.

• Steve Vojtek
    commented on 's reply
    The only difference between butter and better is 'u' and 'e' - more 'u' always means more 'e' - i love butter...

• Steve Vojtek
    commented on 's reply
    My tenderloin is vacuum packed it expires at the end of this month and i decided to try your recipe this time - next week i will make it happen and yes with butter,thyme,cognac and some smoke it will be awesome.Thank you..And the mushrooms - i love mushrooms ....awesome.@Jordan Mott Thank you ...
    Last edited by Steve Vojtek; April 17, 2015, 06:27 AM.

• Steve Vojtek
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee
    I hope so a 1/4 of a bottle would not fit into a tenderloin - lol....or would it? Lol

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    1/4 *Cup* cognac? just double checking...

• Steve Vojtek
    commented on 's reply
    I agree bbqoaf it is the best cut of beef next to a well marbled wagyu beef boneless prime rib ( hope i got it right - some of the cuts go by different names here in australia like scotch fillet which is just a ribeye or prime rib without the bone ) Confusing? Yes we do speak the same language but not when it comes to meat lol... I have had tenderloin ( called eye fillet in aus ) "nekkid " as you call it and love it but i'm just looking for a variation - something different. I do appreciate your post and yes i do love my tender beef cuts rare to medium rare - any more than that is a crime....and a waste of good meat.

• Steve Vojtek
    commented on 's reply
    It is now on my to do list - thank you for your suggestion much appreciated - man i love Amazingribs this is awesome.
    And no it doesn't sound dirty to me lol - sounds like a great idea that i would have never thought of it myself .. Thank You...

• jmott7
    commented on 's reply
    Enjoy! Let me know how it turns out.

• richinlbrg
    replied
    And, BTW, jmott7, "needs more butter" is the most common expression in our kitchen!

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    replied
    THANK YOU SO MUCH, @Jordan Mott.

I'm going to try it in the next couple days - it sounds GREAT!

Leave a comment:

• jmott7
    replied
    1/2 cup melted butter, 1/4 cognac, 1tbsp thyme. Whisk and inject. Wrap in plastic (if do this before you inject, you won't have it shooting out all over the kitchen), put in the fridge for a couple hours. The recipe calls for taking it out and rubbing with olive oil and smoked sea salt. But you could salt it before the fridge, too, if you want.
    Also, cook some shallots in 1 tbsp butter for a few minutes. Then add your mushrooms. Cook another couple of minutes and add 2 tbsp cognac and some more fresh thyme. Stir in some more butter after you take it off the heat. Spoon this on top of your steak.
    I haven't done this in a few years, but I remember liking it. It's from one of Ted Reader's books, and sometimes some of his times and temps are off, but I remember the flavor being good here. I mean, with all that butter, what's not to love?
    Last edited by jmott7; April 16, 2015, 06:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bbqoaf
    replied
    If it's beautiful, high quality tenderloin just salt it and reverse sear to rare. Nothing else required for such an exquisite cut in my humble opinion. I find the key is to keep them much rarer than you would most other cuts of beef because they are so lean, of course, living in Alberta, Canada means I get some of the world's best beef on the regular, which maybe also plays into why I prefer them nekkid and simple.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Steve Vojtek
    ​I don't know how to write this and not sound dirty. But I make a star shaped incision in both ends of the tenderloin with a long, thin knife. Then I push a kielbasa or some other kind of sausage into the tenderloin where you made the cut. Oh man does it come out amazing!!

Leave a comment:

• jmott7
    replied
    I'm at work. I've got the recipe at home. I'll check and get back to you in a few hours.

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    replied
    jmott7 or anyone else, any rough suggestion for the cognac/butter ratio?

Any help would be appreciated as I want to make this for #1.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here
2024 Weber Contest