Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a beef tenderloin.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a beef tenderloin.....

I bought a beef tenderloin or eye fillet as we call it in australia. Last time i smoked one i sprinkled it with a nice rub and wrapped it in bacon - cooked it to medium rare.It was really great with smoked potatoes cut up and covered with mozzarella cheese and crispy bacon bits melted under a grill.This time i'm looking for suggestions from other members here - i'm open to new ideas.If anyone has any suggestions i would be grateful...

Inject with cognac and butter. Serve with sauteed shallots and oyster mushrooms. Throw some thyme and a little more cognac in the pan. Spoon this over sliced tenderloin.

Comment

Sous vide with red wine pan sauce.

Comment

Thank You,
        Both suggestions sound great i am very much a fan of sous vide and thank you for your suggestion but i will go with the cognac and butter injection this time. I now remember that in my past research i came across the butter and cognac recipe before and that was the reason i bought my injector - time to use it - if my head wasn't attached to me i would forget to take it with me LOL.. that mushroom and sautéed shallots and thyme sound yum hope i can get my hands on some fresh oyster mushrooms if not i will try dried porcini which is my favourite mushroom...red wine pan sauce yumm.. i can serve two sauces can't i? Thank you both for your replies.....

Comment

Take about a cup of Kikkoman terriyaki marinade in a zip lock bag and add about a tsp of Walkerswood Jamaican jerk seasoning. Mix well and place the tenderloin in the bag,zip shut and place in the frig for at least 24 hours. Cook on indirect heat in your grill or smoker using whatever type of smoke chips you prefer. Don't over cook! ENJOY

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            Kikkoman terriyaki marinade i can get in Australia - Jamaican jerk seasoning i'll have to look for and get online. That's the beauty of internet shopping - just the other day i bought some Old bay seasoning for Maryland crab cakes and i loved it. It is great with fish cakes too. Thank you for your recipe it sounds delicious and i will definitely try it. Much appreciated mate..

jmott7 or anyone else, any rough suggestion for the cognac/butter ratio?

Any help would be appreciated as I want to make this for #1.

Comment

I'm at work. I've got the recipe at home. I'll check and get back to you in a few hours.

Comment

Steve Vojtek
              ​I don't know how to write this and not sound dirty. But I make a star shaped incision in both ends of the tenderloin with a long, thin knife. Then I push a kielbasa or some other kind of sausage into the tenderloin where you made the cut. Oh man does it come out amazing!!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                It is now on my to do list - thank you for your suggestion much appreciated - man i love Amazingribs this is awesome.
                And no it doesn't sound dirty to me lol - sounds like a great idea that i would have never thought of it myself .. Thank You...

If it's beautiful, high quality tenderloin just salt it and reverse sear to rare. Nothing else required for such an exquisite cut in my humble opinion. I find the key is to keep them much rarer than you would most other cuts of beef because they are so lean, of course, living in Alberta, Canada means I get some of the world's best beef on the regular, which maybe also plays into why I prefer them nekkid and simple.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree bbqoaf it is the best cut of beef next to a well marbled wagyu beef boneless prime rib ( hope i got it right - some of the cuts go by different names here in australia like scotch fillet which is just a ribeye or prime rib without the bone ) Confusing? Yes we do speak the same language but not when it comes to meat lol... I have had tenderloin ( called eye fillet in aus ) "nekkid " as you call it and love it but i'm just looking for a variation - something different. I do appreciate your post and yes i do love my tender beef cuts rare to medium rare - any more than that is a crime....and a waste of good meat.

1/2 cup melted butter, 1/4 cognac, 1tbsp thyme. Whisk and inject. Wrap in plastic (if do this before you inject, you won't have it shooting out all over the kitchen), put in the fridge for a couple hours. The recipe calls for taking it out and rubbing with olive oil and smoked sea salt. But you could salt it before the fridge, too, if you want.
              Also, cook some shallots in 1 tbsp butter for a few minutes. Then add your mushrooms. Cook another couple of minutes and add 2 tbsp cognac and some more fresh thyme. Stir in some more butter after you take it off the heat. Spoon this on top of your steak.
              I haven't done this in a few years, but I remember liking it. It's from one of Ted Reader's books, and sometimes some of his times and temps are off, but I remember the flavor being good here. I mean, with all that butter, what's not to love?
              Last edited by jmott7; April 16, 2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee
                I hope so a 1/4 of a bottle would not fit into a tenderloin - lol....or would it? Lol

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                My tenderloin is vacuum packed it expires at the end of this month and i decided to try your recipe this time - next week i will make it happen and yes with butter,thyme,cognac and some smoke it will be awesome.Thank you..And the mushrooms - i love mushrooms ....awesome.@Jordan Mott Thank you ...
                Last edited by Steve Vojtek; April 17, 2015, 06:27 AM.

• jmott7
                jmott7 commented
                Editing a comment
                1/4 cup. Good catch. And Steve Vojtek, you're welcome.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, @Jordan Mott.

I'm going to try it in the next couple days - it sounds GREAT!

Comment

And, BTW, jmott7, "needs more butter" is the most common expression in our kitchen!

Comment

• jmott7
                  jmott7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Enjoy! Let me know how it turns out.

• Steve Vojtek
                  Steve Vojtek commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The only difference between butter and better is 'u' and 'e' - more 'u' always means more 'e' - i love butter...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here