Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak dilema.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak dilema.....

My better half likes beef tenderloin (filet mignon and I prefer rib-eye. Hers are usually about an inch thicker than mine.

How do I cook these so they both reach medium rare at the same time?

Dave

In my world, I'd cook both sous vide to the low side of medium rare then sear at the same time ... but that's in my world ...
    Last edited by MBMorgan; October 13, 2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I was gonna say the same thing.
      My wife and I are exactly like that.
      I even go as far as butterflying her’s when I sear.

What are you cooking them on? Also, a full inch difference means you are cooking a fat filet and a relatively thin rib-eye?

Comment

Buy thicker rib eyes. This is where sous vide is a perfect solution. No one is going to be able to give you an exact timing with straight grilling, you're just going to have to experiment.

Comment

While I admit I am not a fan of sous vide this sounds like the perfect place for it. Then sear the steaks over a very hot grill. Get the sides of the tenderloin done then do the rib eye and ends of the tenderloin. It should come out about the same time. Seared perfectly.

Well good luck and hope it comes out well for you!!

Comment

Looks like I'm on my own. Although it's hard to believe no one else has faced this dilemma. I'll figure it out and post my solution.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have been in your position, exactly. My wife likes the filet done well, my daughter likes rare and I like my rib-eye medium rare. However, I try to get steaks of the same thickness. The real variable is the difference there. I would start hers six minutes earlier than yours and flip every three minutes. I am using a Santa Maria grill so I can control the temp and it is why I do with the three minute rule for flipping. Good luck!

Reverse sear and monitor with digital probe. Heres what I ate for lunch today. Bone in ribeye and vacío (beef belly). Pulled it at 125f. Also dry brined for 18 hours beforehand. Excellent eating
          Attached Files

Comment

Your situation is exactly the same as mine, Mbloto . Hubby loves filet mignon. I love rib eye. We saved our marriage with a Joule sous vide unit and a hot sear on Grill Grate Griddles on the gasser.

Kathryn

Comment

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              That's funny! "Sous Vide saved my marriage!" Put that in a promo for Joule and Anova!

I'd cook them low and pull the ribeye when it reaches your target temp while the thicker filet continues to cook. When the filet reaches your target temp, sear them both.

You could also start the filet a few minutes earlier than the ribeye so there will be less of a hold time for the ribeye.
            Last edited by RonB; October 13, 2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
              In my world, I'd cook both sous vide to the low side of medium rare then sear at the same time ... but that's in my world ...
              Sorry, no sous vide here

Comment

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Too bad. I’d say that a closely monitored reverse sear is your best bet, then.

Originally posted by pkadare View Post
              Buy thicker rib eyes. This is where sous vide is a perfect solution. No one is going to be able to give you an exact timing with straight grilling, you're just going to have to experiment.
              Easy to say but doesn't help, meat has already been purchased.
              Not sure how you can can speak for everyone on this forum by saying " No one is going to be able to give you an exact timing......."

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll be sure to keep this response in mind for the future.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
              I'd cook them low and pull the ribeye when it reaches your target temp while the thicker filet continues to cook. When the filet reaches your target temp, sear them both.

You could also start the filet a few minutes earlier than the ribeye so there will be less of a hold time for the ribeye.
              Sounds very reasonable to me, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                Your situation is exactly the same as mine, Mbloto . Hubby loves filet mignon. I love rib eye. We saved our marriage with a Joule sous vide unit and a hot sear on Grill Grate Griddles on the gasser.

Kathryn
                The Joule sous vide unit may work for you, but not my idea of true grilling.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  To each his/her own, Mbloto . Reverse searing is the way to go, then. Not a bad option either.

K.

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
                What are you cooking them on? Also, a full inch difference means you are cooking a fat filet and a relatively thin rib-eye?
                Answering a question with more questions isn't a big help

Comment

• pkadare
                  pkadare commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The method you use to cook is a very important factor in being able to answer your question. Sounds to me that you really don't want to know the answer if this is your response to someone looking for a simple level of detail that you omitted.

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think I answered later in the thread with what I would do. I was just asking to help you with what I would do with timing. Variables are really important when it comes to thickness of the meat and what you are cooking on. I am sincerely sorry if I came across wrong or sarcastic.
                  Last edited by tbob4; October 13, 2019, 08:55 PM.

My answer to my own question. Too bad no one else has the experience to give advice.

Grill at 250 degrees.

Place 1 ½ inch rib eye and 2” filet on 250 degree grill.

Place Thermo Works needle probe into 1 ½ inch boneless rib eye, Set Thermo Works Smoke to 128 degrees (rare).

When rib eye reaches 128 remove probe and remove rib eye from heat. Insert needle probe into filet.

Heat cast iron skillet for searing

Continue cooking until filet reaches 128 degrees, about additional 6 minutes

Place both filet and rib eye in smoking hot cast iron skillet for 2 minutes per side, until both steaks reach 132 degrees.

Place pat of butter on each steak and serve.

Pkadare:

Seems to me you make too many assumptions about my inquiry. If I really didnt want to know the answer I wouldn't have posted the question in the first place. I thought someone might have had some experience in the same situation.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  pkadare - "Wow. I’m done."

... ditto.

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like you have it down right. I do rib eyes for my wife and I hers gets barely gets seared more blue that rare like 2 min a side and mine is med rare at 3 min a side.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Um, RonB gave the advice you actually used - cook low and pull the steaks as each is done, then sear together. This is called the reverse sear method. Not sure how this turns into no one being able to give advice?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here