Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delmonico vs Rib Roast - Need Some Help on a Cook for a Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delmonico vs Rib Roast - Need Some Help on a Cook for a Friend

So the ladies are having a fun night out tomorrow at a fundraiser. My buddy tells me he’s going to get us a rib roast to cook. He sends me over pictures and while the meat looks great, something looked a little off to me. It definitely doesn’t match the picture from the book.

I dropped off my WSM last night and looked at the cut in person. It seemed a lot flatter than what I was expecting. I went back and looked at the pictures again tonight and noticed the label says Delmonico on it. I’ll post the pictures here, I don’t know if you’ll be able to see it.

My buddy has taught me a lot about the game of hockey. He’s a great coach and has really helped me become a better player and coach. More importantly he helped my son become a better player, believing in himself when other coaches wrote him off. He’s looking to me to cook this fantastic piece of meat. I don’t want to let him down.

A few questions;
    1. A Delmonico is not the same as a rib roast, right? If not, other than maybe accidentally asking for Delmonico’s, why would the butcher sell this cut to him?
    2. If my assumptions are correct can I still roll this beautiful cut of meat, tie it, and still cook it in the WSM? (I’m thinking like a skirt/flank steak minus all the interesting stuff inside.)
    3. How long you think it will take at 225? It was just at 10lbs before trimming, it’s probably 8.5 - 9 now.
    Attached Files

There is no such cut as a Delmonico. The Delmonico was made famous by Delmonico's Steak House in NYC and their signature steak is simply a thick cut boneless rib-eye.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that use to be true at one time, now it can be a variety of steaks apparently. I learned that awhile back when I saw Delmonico’s that didn’t quite look like rib-eyes. Forget where I was now.

Looking back I worded things bad in my post. No matter what these are definitely thinner than a rib roast. Need to figure out how to cook them.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. It's frustrating that the retail beef industry fails to use standardized nomenclature. You end up with all sorts of names for the same cut of meat, often time getting charged more because of some fancy name.

You can roll it and put it in butcher's netting and smoke it. You could grill it whole or you could cut it into steaks. If you roll it and tie/net it, keep an eye on the temp. I would think no longer than 4 hours (depending on what temp you are going for) and as little as 2.5 hours.

Comment

I ended up just cooking it on the smoker as in the pictures. Came out great.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have photos of the finished product? What was the temp and time? It looked really good as prepped.

I'm totally confused. What exactly did you cook? The rib eye section or the cap? The cap is one of the most tender and sought after parts of the cow period. You should have rolled the thing up and cut 1-1/2" pinwheel steaks out of it. Grill them to medium rare and enjoy some of the best steaks out there. A WSM is not exactly the best cooker for the purpose.

If you smoked the rib eye roast on the WSM then I'm sure it came out great. I'm just confused by what you apparently did.

And for the record, pkadare is right, all a Delmonico is is a thick cut of the rib or short loin section made popular by the restaurant that served it. It's not an "official" cut of meat necessarily.
      Last edited by Troutman; October 13, 2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        +1. Roll it up nice n round, tie it, salt/pepper and smaoke 225f until 117f internal. Slice into 45mm thick steaks and a quick hot sear.....

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I thought a Delmonico steak also referred to a Chuckeye Steak. Same cut but by a different name? I used to buy what were called Chuckeye steaks at a local grocer and they were delicious and not very expensive. Then they stopped offering them and I have been scrambling around since to figure out for sure what they were and unable to find them anywhere.

It was a thick cut. It looked like what you would cut ribeye's out of. Going from the photos in the book it was thicker than the rib cap, but not as thick as the eye of the ribeye. It was labeled Delmonico as you can see from the sticker on the paper wrap.

I guess you can roll anything, but this was pretty thick. I thought it was better to just cook it as the photo shows. I thought might as well try cooking it like a tri-tip, what could go wrong? I ran the smoker at 225 for about an hour and a half. Took it to 120 and finished it off on his gasser.

Was that the right thing to do? I don't know but it came out tasty.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds perfect! Good call. I bet it tasted great.

Kathryn

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely you did the right thing! You asked for a bit of advice, weighed the options and decided to go with your gut. The photo showed the whole thing rubbed. At that point, I would have done what you did. Congrats on a great cook and thanks for the info on the outcome. If I am in the same place, with the same dilemma, I have your post in my memory. Thanks for the feedback on it.

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        And most importantly, no one got sick, lol.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here