Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Flavor Pellets for Rib Roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Flavor Pellets for Rib Roast?

I follow the ABCBBQ and Meathead recommendation of no smoke for making a rib roast with the SnS because the roast will get a nice charcoal grilled flavor and the smoke could overwhelm the other seasonings (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust).

My next rib roast is going to be on a pellet grill and I was wondering what flavor pellets I would want to use? There is no natural charcoal flavor here and there is going to be some smoke one way or the other....

My preference would probably be pecan, but perhaps a milder apple? I use oak or post oak for a lot of pellet cooks. It’s fairly mild, but you may not want that here.

Comment

The rib roasts I've done on my Traeger have been mostly with a 50/50 mix of mesquite and cherry pellets. We've been very happy with the results.

Comment

I use 50/50 cherry/pecan BBQer delight in my smoker.

Comment

Treager has a mix that is called Texas Beef, it's a blend of oak, mesquite, and pecan...Very good!

Comment

Originally posted by dmorgan73 View Post
            Treager has a mix that is called Texas Beef, it's a blend of oak, mesquite, and pecan...Very good!
            I agree with this 100%. They also have a costco blend which is awesome. With that being said, I think pellet flavor is only mildly discernable versus chunks.

Comment

That Traeger Beef mix sounds mighty good.

Comment

I'm a big fan of oak with rib roasts. I like to go light with salt and pepper and garlic.

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions and pointing me in the right direction!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Larry View Post
                    My preference would probably be pecan, but perhaps a milder apple? I use oak or post oak for a lot of pellet cooks. It’s fairly mild, but you may not want that here.
                    Is oak the mildest wood there is? I've been looking at Lumberjack Hickory Blend which is 60% oak and 40% hickory. Would a blend like that be something you could use for a few hours without overdoing it?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                      mountainsmoker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you look at wood strengths of smoke you can go Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan. Then Oak and the fruit woods.

Remember it is the amount of wood you put on the fire and the length of time you smoke the meat that determines the flavor.

I never use Mesquite I find it bitter. I keep 5 types of wood chunks, apple, cherry, hickory, maple and oak. Between them I can develop the flavor I want on any meat. Brisket gets all oak. Pork butt gets hickory and apple, Turkey gets cherry and a little maple,

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here