Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lovin costco meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lovin costco meat

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_102839.jpg
Views:	1604
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	753569Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_103804.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	753570Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_154429.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	753571
    Just went to costco for the first time and couldnt believe the great meat selection, First time every really seeing or buying prime grade meat, it is sooo good! the real test will be to do a side by side cook with a prime and choice steak.....

If you see the ribeyes like that without the cap on them you can probably find the caps sold separately. Those are some delicious steaks.

A great option at Costco is to buy the whole rib primals or strip loins and cut your own steaks. You will save a couple dollars a pound and avoid the blade tenderization they do on most of their individual cut steaks. And if you have freezer space you can ask someone working the meat department for a whole case and save even more.

Many Costcos also carry nice prime briskets for around $4 per pound and whole pork bellies for $3 per pound if you want to make your own bacon.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the tips,.....what is blade tenderization????

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      This!

Get the whole pieces and cut them up yourself. Want your ribeye steaks 2” thick. No problem.

Briskets were a great deal. Sadly their supply has dwindled lately.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      marshall - http://completecarnivore.com/beware-...erized-steaks/

Yes. What Joe said.

Comment

FWIW, Julia Child was a big fan of Costco as well. That was her "go to" along with a local butcher... Seems he was the preferred vendor but she went to Costco if he didn’t have something or simply because it was convenient and met her needs.

Comment

Ah yes, first time at Costco. You'll never forget it, and if you move on to another Costco, you'll always remember your first.

BTW, you just move here from another planet? ;-)

Comment

• marshall
          marshall commented
          Editing a comment
          lol, just never liked the idea of paying a membership fee to buy stuff but my wife signed up to try it out, plus im 45 min from Costco

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          marshall Oh, so you are close. I'm two hours away. I've been shopping there since the first Price Club on Moreno in San Diego back in the 80's. We get our fee back through the cash back programme. You'll find good savings and a return policy that can't be beat.

• crazytown3
          crazytown3 commented
          Editing a comment
          marshall if you end up shopping at costco fairly frequently (I can't imagine why you wouldn't), consider buying the Executive Membership. It will feel expensive the first year, but then you get a 'cash back' check towards the end of your membership year. It has paid for our membership renewal and then some every year since. Proud member since 12/1999.

wow just learned another valuable amount of knowledge here in the pit, had no idea about blade tenderized and potential illness if under cooking it

Comment

i get mad every time I look at pre-packaged steaks at Costco. So many folk could be risking health by cooking those steaks rare. Pretty sure the package has a warning to cook to 165, but I imagine most folk don’t pay attention to that, or know the dangers of blade tenderized meat.

i think if you sous vide the blade tenderized stuff long enough to pasteurize the meat, then sear, it could safely be cooked at less than extra well done.

Comment

• jumbo7676
            jumbo7676 commented
            Editing a comment
            I get particularly mad when I see the Prime Ribeye Caps and then spot the "blade tenderized' label. I can't believe I haven't thought about sous vide as a way to cook it safely without overcooking the meat. Then again, I don't think I've seen them since I got my sous vide, so maybe that's why it hasn't occurred to me yet. Definitely picking up a pack or two next time I see them to try it. Thanks for pointing out what I feel like I should have figured out on my own long ago!

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Absorb the time? They could just leave it alone and it would be better than blade tenderizing. That’s the reason I never buy their cut steaks.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't see why they fell the need to blade tenderize choice and prime grade meat!

Blade tenderizing prime rib eyes is a bit over the top to begin with. That's on par with blade tenderizing a tenderloin. and the part about cooking it to 160* is probably smart from a safety standpoint but truly sacrilege otherwise. Like stated, buy a sub primal and cut your own. At $20/# for the ones above I'll pass.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Last time I was at Costco to get a brisket and pork belly, they in fact had prime tenderloin that was blade tenderized, filet mignon that was blade tenderized. It was all sickening.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            "It was all sickening". Ha. Potentially Literally.

so from what ive read no one legally has to put on the package its been blade tenderized, so is the only way to know is ask ??? I hate to think all the steaks ive had at my local grocery cooked only to medium

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t know about the rules, but I’ve seen it on the labels at Costco so it seems like they do tell you, whether they have to or not.

Alternatively if you see "cook to minimum 160F on beef steak package, I would stay away".

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here