Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast

Been reading about members smoking chuck roasts and our local meat market had a sale on some nice choice ones. I took two smaller ones to "practice" with today. Here is a photo of one of them. Not sure how it looks but it tasted great. I think I like this better than brisket for the lean sweet flavor. Ate a few slices and wrapped some in a fresh flour tortilla from our local Mexican bakery. Great
    Attached Files

Looks delicious!

I’d never heard of smoking a chuck roast till I joined here, but having smoked a couple now I get why they’re so popular on the board.

Delicious, tastes extremely close to brisket, & you’re not stuck trying to figure out how to eat 12lbs of beef before it goes bad. Guess you know now too.

Comment

Smoked Chuck is a favorite at my house. Great flavor and a short cook!

Comment

Congrats on your "discovery". Chuckies are also very versatile. Great in chili, tacos, and many other beef dishes.

Comment

• cruiseplanner1
          cruiseplanner1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh I never thought of chili that would surely give it an over the top flavor. Thanks for the tip

I love a chuckie. 🥰

Comment

Chuck is one of the most underrated cuts of beef. I love a good smoked chuck, and yours looks great!

Comment

Chuck is one of the most underrated cuts of beef. I love a good smoked chuck, and yours looks great!

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              glad to see I'm not the only one who repeats himself.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              The site was acting weird on my phone last night. I think I must have submitted twice!

Wow...that is beautiful! Nice work

Comment

That looks great. I do lots and lots of chuckies. In fact, I have the last one from our last side of beef defrosting now. Steers only have one brisket, and lots of chuck roasts, so I do way more chuckies than briskets. However, I guess my pulled pork went over at church last weekend. I was asked to do brisket for a church dinner in November. I did suggest it might be easier to do the same amount of meat in the form of chuck roasts instead of briskets, so we might do some negotiating. Only need to plan on feeding about 30 people. I might show them your picture, it might help persuade them.
              Last edited by Bogy; October 6, 2019, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• cruiseplanner1
                cruiseplanner1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Good luck. I have done a few briskets in the past but that chuck has a different flavor and texture. I think I may prefer it actually.

I love chuckies. I've only done sliced chuck once, but I do pulled beef and burnt ends with them more often.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have only done pulled previously. I like the look of the sliced on in the original post here.

Got a chuck in the freezer. I have't had good luck smoking them, but I am going to try again maybe this weekend.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                I know this is done in, you know what, but you can expect similar results in just about any cooker. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                HawkerXP, pbc, pbc... Now that I have done a tri tip, the chuckie will be my next beef cook. But on the kettle, cause I don't have the pbc, pbc, pbc (yet)

Chuckies are awful.

Stop talking them up.

The groceries are starting to catch on and not offer as many sales.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Still enjoying new favorite low and slow cut for $2.99/lbs. secrets.

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                Potkettleblack, I have a whole new supply of chuckies hanging in a locker now. Along with ribeyes and T-Bones and the rest of the side. Even got a brisket in there. Won't actually know what they will cost per processed pound for another week or two. Buck a pound, before processing.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                There are no $1/lbs chuck roasts left in Chicago... The sale price is now in the $3/ range, when it's not in the $5/... It's distressing tbh.

I make pulled beef with mine. Do everything you knwo how to do to make pulled pork, just do it with a chuck roast and beef/brisket seasonings instead of pork seasoning. My favorite! Pulled beef is excellent in anything from omelettes to chili to tacos, nachos, or simply on a fork!

I might be heading up your way this week, to Loud Pond just south of Glennie. Weather is supposed to be nice rest of this week.

Comment

• cruiseplanner1
                cruiseplanner1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes enjoy it while you can. May go out grouse hunting and then the weekend gets cold and rainy. However this is duck season opener so that times well. Have fun

that looks delicious!
              What temp do you take it to for slicing?

Comment

• cruiseplanner1
                cruiseplanner1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry for the late reply, did not see this post. I did take them to 160 which was a little high as I did not want them as rare as the ones prior to this batch. I think I will stick to about 145-150 in the future. First batch had too much "blood water" coming out for my family.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here