Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wrap chuck roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you wrap chuck roast?

I have a chuck roast on the smoker. I've only done a couple chucks in the past, and always followed the same process as brisket which (for me) includes wrapping with foil. Out of pure laziness, I'm thinking of not wrapping this. What do you say, pit dwellers?

I have never wrapped anything.. if nothing else call it an experiment and then if it is not to your liking wrap the next one!!

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the way you think

I've never wrapped a chucky either, and they always turn out great.

Comment

I usually do. I'll pop them in a covered foil pan after they come out of the stall around 180 if I like the bark. Also add a little beef broth. I know...……..brazing it but that's how we like them.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I have done this one time just as an experiment. and somehow, the bark got even more intense... I need to try it again just to see if results are the same. Was not my intentions. I was just hoping to keep some of the juices. (did not put broth in) just put it in a foil pan with tin foil cover.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Doing a couple today as a matter of fact. 7.5 hours hanging in my Black Beauty (PBC) just put in foil pan with a little beef broth and moved to the oven.

I wrap chuckies now because I always end up with such a significant bark on them compared to everything else. This is true in both my PBC and kettle. I’m a big fan of bark but I need to be able to chew it! Wrapped my last one and it was awesome, still lots of bark but it softened up a little for me.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I was finding same thing, started wrapping in butcher paper lately.

I think my last one I put in a foil pan after the meat had enough smoke. I left the meat uncovered and finished the cook that way. I don't remember if I added any liquid to the pan, but I don't think so. Just getting the meat in an open pan will create some juice and slow evaporation. It turned out well.

Comment

I don't wrap. I have never wrapped anything and I can say once or twice I have had some chewy parts of bark. I have been meaning to do a wrap cook but always seem to forget. Think it might have something to do with age.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          That's right. You didn't wrap my birthday present either.

FishTalesNC After a looooooong stall, the bark was getting pretty treelike, so I wrapped to finish off like you said. Getting close to pulling.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Bet it’s gonna be awesome, hope that bark is just how you like it! 👍🏻

As with everything except ribs, I wrap chucks too. I treat them like pork butts with brisket seasonings.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s a good way of putting it and/or comparing.

I've followed Huskee's lead and wrap both chuckies and butts at 180.
        In foil, haven't tried butchers paper yet.
        Bark has been really good and they disappear off the table really fast....

Comment

Alright - here we go. The result is good but not great. My chuck game is not up to the level of my brisket, pork butt, etc. Just need some more experience. And the practice is edible!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE6228D7-B063-4228-B56D-6410A3B56875.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	752329

Decided to go with tacos.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	16D9A3F0-F482-4275-A64B-9DCA2E70469E.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	752330

Comment

• Loren
            Loren commented
            Editing a comment
            Opinel?! I like you're style

Also...damn that looks tasty!

Nothing wrong with that.
          I sometimes get bark like that depending on the smoke or the piece of meat I buy.
          I'd eat that every day of the week.

Comment

• radshop
            radshop commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too. Which is good, because I'll be eating it every day this week!

Edit: the bark is actually good. Overall it's just a little dry. Next time I'll wrap a little earlier.
            Last edited by radshop; October 5, 2019, 08:04 PM.

Looks great!! I wrap mine at 175, remove at 208 or so. Love the chuckies!!! I usually chop rather than pull. Those tacos look great!! This site is not diet friendly, lol.

Comment

Nope, haven't ever... kinda willin to try, if given a compellin circumstance, otherwise...not so much...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2777.JPG Views:	1 Size:	585.8 KB ID:	752387

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2783.JPG Views:	1 Size:	410.7 KB ID:	752393
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 5, 2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• radshop
              radshop commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful!

Edit: The chuck is nice too, but I meant the floral pattern on your plate...

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol I always use my Best China, when doin Photo Shoots of Foods...
              radshop

I always wrap chuckie. My first one i didnt and it was dry as a bone. Now i wrap in foil and use that as an excuse to pour a little beer and hot sauce in there.

maybe i need to wrap because i get them from costco
            Last edited by grantgallagher; October 6, 2019, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              so bad...

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here