Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First full packer brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First full packer brisket

I have smoked a couple of flats, mostly for pastrami, but never the full until this one. This one is still cooking, but, I definitely need some practice in trimming, I did not see those low spots that collected the moisture when I was prepping it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 4, 2019, 09:06 AM.

Looks good! Make sure to post pictures of the finished product so we can drool

Also, what's that in the foil container?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I put some of the trimmings in there this morning. I also have a few Pasilla peppers I added to the smoke this morning.

Knowing how well you cooks have been coming out, I'd say you're headed for a tasty brisket !!

Comment

Looks great to me! I love it. Trimming gets easier and easier the more you do it. Don't sweat it.

Comment

Looks great to me!!

Comment

The first on many a tasty meal I'm sure

Comment

The point side of this is going into a chili that I am making for a friends back yard chili cook off tomorrow. All for fun, looking forward to serving some smoked brisket and pasilla pepper chili. Not sure I will cut the flat up yet, I may freeze that as a whole for brisket sandwiches later, when I make more sourdough. That could all change once I cut it open though.

Comment

Looking good, nice and barky and flavorful. It should reach a nice 190-200 range easily. That point will make that chili sing. Well after doing 5-6 a year for 30 +/-years they all don't come out right nor wrong. I always do prime packers now in the 14 pound range. If you can pick up several and choose the most flexible.

Well good luck and practice makes perfect.

Comment

I haven't tried it yet, but Harry Soo suggests putting a chunk or 2 of wood under the brisket while it's cooking to "dome" it and prevent pooling of the liquid. I might try it with the prime packer I'm planning to cook on Sunday.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                  Richard Chrz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think I had heard that before as well.

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep I use a 3x3x1.5 inch chunk that lasts about an hour for about the whole cook. I normally use a mild wood like oak.

Ditto on the wood blocks. Tried it on my last brisket and it seemed to help. Plus, the fat soaked blocks made for some good smoking wood later😝!

Comment

That looks very tasty to me.

Comment

Looks wonderful! Sometimes the briskets that look like I trimmed them with a weed whacker turn out better than ones that I trim well. Do what you can but don't sweat it. The end result looks great.

Comment

16 hours on the wsm, and a few hours in the cooler. Ready for chili for sure. I am satisfied with it, super greasy, smokey, and most importantly, tasty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket 1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	751677Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 3.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	751678Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	751679Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket point.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	751681Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket point chili 1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	751680

Comment

• Texas Larry
                        Texas Larry commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You are creating some tasty looking food my friend!

• Backroadmeats
                        Backroadmeats commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Man that is beautiful. I should have started driving to lacrosse when first posted pictures. I could be there by now.. very nice!! Well done!! I really need to cook a brisket,. I have only done one in my life and years ago before AR so I didn't know what I was doing.

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Man, you killed this, brother!

I like softer bark so I don't mind some pooling. The pooling goes away when you cambro it. With that said I gonna have to try the blocking technique next time.

Comment

Nothing wrong with any of that, Riccardo.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here