Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Brisket Question

Fat cap up or down on an offset, and why?

Personally I like to place the fat cap as a buffer to the direction of the heat, so on an offset I go down. On a kettle+SnS I go up. It will be delicious any way you do it.

Comment

I think of placing the fat cap as an insulator. So I put it down when my heat source is below. In your scenario, I’d place it up with the point towards the heat. That’s assuming it is a traditional offset without a baffle diverting things.

Comment

Start with the fat cap away from the heat until you see the bark formed the way you like it. Then flip it over so the fat cap is used as an insulator from the heat. And keep the point on the hotter side throughout the entire cook. When you rest in a faux cambro have the fat cap up again so the meat side rests in the juices. Make sure and give yourself at least 2 hours to rest. For me a 4 to 6 hour rest is what I shoot for.
        Last edited by hogdog6; October 1, 2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting that you say point on the cooler side. Burial everyone I have every read or heard says point toward the heat, including Aaron Franklin.

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          I stand corrected. I meant to say flat away from the heat. I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I typed that out. I fear I'm starting to show my age.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          " I fear I'm starting to show my age."

hogdog6 - join the club! LOL

Fat cap as protection from the heat. In my (normal, not reverse flow) offset smoker that means fat cap up, and point towards the heat.

Comment

There are still YouTube videos of supposedly serious pitmasters (is there a PHD in barbecuing?) that claim the grease from the fat somehow permeates the meat, thus fat cap always up. This claim is then accentuated by cutting open a brisket and pushing out the retained moisture from said permeated fat. At least that myth has been busted here.

For me I just throw the sucker on and hope for the best

Comment

I can almost guarantee that given 2 equal briskets (or any cut of meat for that matter), 1 cooked fat cap up, and 1 cooked fat side down, in a blind taste test, no one on this planet would be able to tell which was which.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure you are right. It's just that my prior 1 or 2 attempts at brisket have been less than stellar. So, I'm looking for every edge I can find in hopes that this next one will be very good at least.
              Last edited by Dewesq55; October 1, 2019, 07:40 PM.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. I do the cap-towards-the-heat method because I have to pick a way and so I pick that.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here