Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing 2 beef chucks tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing 2 beef chucks tomorrow

Both are 3 pounds. One on the WSM and the other on my RecTec to compare. I was planning on basically following the pulled chuck recipe on the free site. Been dry brining for 48 hours and will add BBBR in the morning. Going to cook at 250-275 degrees, pan underneath to catch drippings, then wrap with a little beef broth once bark is formed. Pull at probe tender. Anything else you would recommend to improve things? Thanks all!

Are you using any water in the bowl? I'd start with some to get good smoke on 'em. I also lije to keep them real cold. I rub 'em and put them back in the fridge or freezer while pre heating.
    Last edited by Mudkat; September 28, 2019, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, forgot to mention that. I will be putting water in the pan. Great idea about going straight from the fridge/freezer to the cooker. I'll definitely be doing that. Thanks!

Nothing to add but you're in for some good eating tommorow.
    Enjoy.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't see any mention of beer anywhere. Going to get thirsty during that cook.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ahumadora, I knew I was forgetting something! That will definitely improve things

How ‘ bout an invite ?

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just bring the sides!

We only ask for pictures so we can follow along.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Stalker!!!

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will allow it. Again, I need sides

Click image for larger version

Name:	83A9C6F9-9B9E-4A45-A496-EA0A700759B3.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	748939Click image for larger version

Name:	76F19FA3-E44E-42FC-831F-15F436AE13A2.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	748940

Name:	C2F2AB89-4574-4A6B-8425-FB1964BB9FB2.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	748941
    Love me some chuck. Your plan looks good. Let us know how it goes. With pics of course.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do! You prefer sliced over pulled? Or just for that dish.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Always sliced for me. Cut across the grain and it is tender and fantastic. Sometimes I cube one up and make burnt ends. Chuck roasts are my favorite cook.

Cook was last weekend but just now getting around to the post. Everything turned out pretty good. My wife and I both thought the chuck from my WSM was better than the pellet. They were both delicious, but the chuck from the pellet seem to lose all smoke flavor after wrapping and coming out of the braise. The chuck from the WSM kept its smoke flavor even after the braising. I've gotten subtle smoke from beef ribs on the pellet that we enjoyed a little more than from the WSM (without wrapping), so I'm thinking when I do a chuck again on the pellet, I won't wrap (or will wrap but without broth). Here are the pics!

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	753189

Name:	cookers.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	753190

Name:	pulled.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	753191

Name:	cooked.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	753192

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here