Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blade/ Lifter Meat ... what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blade/ Lifter Meat ... what is it?

Last week, on an impulse, I ordered some Japanese A5 Wagyu "Rib Caps" from Crowd Cow, thinking i was ordering the actual cap of the rib eye (spinalis dorsi) which iv never had but have heard is the best meat on the cow. After doing some additional research it turns out that what i have actually bought is something different known as blade/lifter meat which is cut i am unfamiliar with. I should have known that it was not actually rib eye caps as the price was only $200 for 4lbs of Japanese A5 beef (SRF sells 1lb of American Wagyu ribeye cap for over $100). I thought i was just getting a great deal..

Anyone on hear ever heard of / cooked this cut?

~Dan

Pasture-raised beef, pork, lamb, and chicken delivered straight to your door. Free of antibiotics, hormones, and GMOs. All of our beef is dry aged for 14 days! Shop better meat per piece or per month with Butcher's Choice Subscription Boxes at Porter Road.

Its delicious, dont worry. And if it looks anything like the crowd cow picture...good lord.

Comment

Something’s amiss here. First the CC rib cap does sound like the spinalis dorsi. There is no other cap in the rib section. That price seems ridiculously cheap if that’s the case. I’ve had some unhappy experiences with CC, I’d watch what you buy from them. Sounds like they may have missed named whatever it is.

Porter Road, on the other hand, has given me some great cuts of both beef and pork. But again, calling a blade steak the cap of a ribeye is simply not true. It’s a lovely cut from the forward chuck.

Buyer beware, I swear they make up names or incorrectly name cuts of meat to get you to buy their lessor cuts at premium prices.

Comment

• Fortin21
        Fortin21 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea, it feels a little deceiving as im sure most people associate the term "rib cap" with the spinalis dorsi. But oh well. Still looks like good piece of meat.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Regardless of what it is I agree, if it is A5 then +-$50/lb seems like a very good deal. I just get chapped off when they make up new names that tend to deceive...smoke and mirrors !

Porter road even has the name rib cap in parens in the description. Im guessing its a somewhat commen name for blade steak and certain places use it because it sounds very much like ribeye cap

Comment

On a full, untrimmed rib primal (the NAMP 103) there is another piece of meat above the spinalis called the lifter or sometimes the cap. Just a bit confusing. It is trimmed off for nearly all US commercial cuts but for something like the A5 I can understand why they would want to sell as much of it as they can instead of using it for ground beef. In the pic below I am pretty sure it is the muscle on the top left above the spinalis.

Somewhere else I saw someone bring up the same cut they got from Crowd Cow and it was indeed the "lifter" and not what we would normally call the "cap".

Click image for larger version  Name:	103CHUCKOK.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	748131

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Man i love this forum. Thank you for the pic and clear description.

• Fortin21
          Fortin21 commented
          Editing a comment
          Very helpful. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Gonna slice it into thin steaks and fry them up and see what happens.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea you are correct Joe, typically it's a pretty thin piece and they make burger out of it. What they should call it is the lifter than.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here