Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Age Whole NY Strip . . . Worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet Age Whole NY Strip . . . Worthwhile?

Local Fresh Market had their NY strip (whole or half) on sale for $6.99 yesterday. We've gotten the halves several times and had them cut into steaks. At this price, I went for the whole strip loin. It's still in the vacuum package, so it will be possible to wet age it for a while. I wet age brisket and eye of round, but wondered if anybody has an opinion on wet aging the generally tender strip.

Wet aging is not just for tenderness, it’s also for flavor. I say go for it.

Comment

I would probably just dry brine and cook, but a flavour comparison would be interesting.

Comment

Red Man yes there is a flavor change but not sure I would want a 30 day wet aged sirloin. Here is an article I picked up in the Atlantic in 2010 that explains the two pretty well. It was written by a Brooklyn butcher.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ng-meat/38505/

Maybe our butcher friend from MN will chime in. Wet aging takes less time than dry aging. On the packaging will be the packed date. Take that into your calculation. I would probably go no more than 15 days total.

Good luck and good eating.

Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 22, 2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          mountainsmoker Snake River Farms wet ages their American Wagyu sirloins for 21+ days.

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Well so they do. But I would think they are very temp. controlled and not the variable temps the home frig. sees daily. I like to be safe than sorry.

I wet age a number of meats in my refrigerator for up to 30 days, sometimes longer with briskets. I see nothing wrong with it, they are cryovaced and perfectly safe for those periods of time. Each to his own though. I'm actually back to doing 28 day dry aging in Umai bags, that to me is less safe than cryovac aging and again I've had zero problem with either.

Comment

Also, according to the article cited above in Atlantic, the author states that,

"During wet aging, the plastic doesn't allow the meat to breathe, so it ages in contact with its own blood, which lends it "a more intense sour note and a more bloody/serumy flavor," according to the Department of Food Science and Nutrition at the University of Minnesota"

Aging in contact with what blood is he referring to? What's left in the tissues of the meat I buy is myoglobin, not blood. Myoglobin is the fluid that carries oxygen to those tissues. It's turns red when exposed to the outside oxygenated air. A lot of folks think this is blood but it's not.

This author (or butcher) needs to take a food science class because I believe he is misquoting what UofM has to say on the subject.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here