Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steaming Pastrami on the Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steaming Pastrami on the Grill

I have a nice corned beef that I am going to make raise to the next level and turn it into Pastrami.

I see that I have the choice of steaming it or smoking it.

I am thinking that what I want to do is smoke it to 160 (I thi that is what the recipe call for) and then trot out a tray and a rack and place that on the grill to steam it slowly. Cover with foil and steam it to 203. My goal is to make it tasty and tender.

I am sure others have done this because I don't have original ideas. What were your experiences?

In my experience, after making pastrami many times, I now simply skip the steaming step. I like to take the corned beef all the way up too 200 F or probe tender in one swoop. When I do it this way, I find it to be less labor intensive and I get some really nice bark on the surface of the meat. Win, Win in my book!

Basically, I treat it like I would any other brisket.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Me, too. No steaming required.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      agreed, this is how I do it as well.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      steamed is great to reheat it, brings some moisture back after slicing. But I prefer it straight off the smoker the first day

I agree with Spinaker
    Attached Files

Comment

I don’t bother steaming either, just treat it like brisket.

Comment

I do my pastrami like this, and it turns out VERY good.

Comment

• ScottyC13
          ScottyC13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the recommendation. I will try this!

I QVQ mine, which means steaming is not used nor desired....

Click image for larger version

Name:	pastrami 5-18.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	746835

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Out of curiosity how much time is your first Q time, your V time and your second Q time. What is the weight of the corned beef. Every body tells me I should use my SV machine so this looks like one to try. Troutman you may break me down.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually doing one as we speak. Smoked a brisket point that was corned for 8 days to an internal temp of about 125*. Pulled it, bagged it and it's in a 135* bath for the next 72 hours. When done, I'll shock it cold for 30 minutes in ice water and refrigerate until the weekend where I'll smoke it again to re-establish bark not to exceed the 135* bath temp. The result is what you see above.

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. Now I will have to decide to do it. It sure looks good.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 23, 2019, 03:26 PM.

Here is the last Pastrami I made. I took this one all the way up to 202 F with no steaming to be had. Great bark and smokey goodness! I will admit that it is not as true to Katz's as the OG recipe attempts to be, but I love doing it this way.

Name:	IMG_3063.jpeg
Views:	934
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	747351Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3070.jpeg
Views:	950
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	747350

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Now you had show me that again. Sighing.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Any chance i get to bring this out, I do. LOL holehogg

Name:	IMG_0650.jpeg
Views:	954
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	794606 Guess we all love and crave the close to Katz P. Yes indeed I've been to Katz several times so I know what it should taste like, and as usual, Meathead provided the correct details. I've made it many times and it is AAA. Steaming is the part that is so hard to replicate w/o professional steaming equipment. (Note: you can buy a whole ready to steam brisket from Katz, and I have, the steaming is still the issue) So a few years back, after buying my "Joule" sous vide machine, I discovered this is the ANSWER!! 2 - 3 hours of 195Ëš in the Joule is just as good (maybe better?) as steaming. It's not a secret, so I'm not claiming hero status. Just commenting!!
        Last edited by Greg A BigBillsFan; January 22, 2020, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great cook man! I have done the SV step before too. It is amazing, but it is just another step. Laziness gets in the way.

My brother lives about 10 blocks from Katz's. It is the only place I MUST go when I visit him in NYC. I love everything about that place. I go in there and eat and eat and eat. My brother actually got me one of their cutting boards for X-Mas this year.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Notice my response in post #6, quite a few of us have beat you to the sous vide method. Good job none-the-less !!

• Greg A BigBillsFan
          Greg A BigBillsFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman, I cannot find an emoji patting a guy on the back, or I would've tagged one for you!! I think the last 2 sentences in #8 cover it!! Peace

No steaming! Smoke it all the way to probe tender. Last time I did pastrami, I did one of each. At the end of lunch, the smoked-all-the-way meat was done, and I was eating leftovers of the other all week. No pics. So you’ll just have to trust me. (Don’t worry. I’m a lawyer.)

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol

I just cook mine like my briskets - once I get the color I want, I wrap tightly in foil (no liquid) and cook it until probe tender. Bark is preserved but soft enough to carve intact. No matter how it’s done, homemade pastrami is the shizzle.

Comment

I use my Holland grill with the drip tray full of water. Works like a champ. I smoke it first, then steam.

Comment

So... why steam? Does it take some of the salt out? I’ve done the recipe on this website and it tastes great but I’m thirsty all night. It is cause it’s usually a flat and we feel it needs moisture? It can’t be to reheat if you’re just going to eat it of the smoker. Maybe restaurants smoke it off site and they steam it just to warm it up again?

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I have always thought that steaming in restaurants was just a way to rewarm it, but don't know for sure. I don't steam my pastrami because I can't see what the steam step brings to the party.

BTW, did you soak your corned beef in water to get rid of some of the salt before putting the rub on it? One time I did not soak long enough and the pastrami was more salty.

Kathryn

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Steaming simply adds tenderness, loosening up the meat so it slices cleanly and melts in your mouth. Katz's deli not only steams theirs but after the smoke, they also boil it to finish the cooking process and to bring it up to the final internal temp. They also smoke theirs for a couple of days (well, not them specifically but the company they have do the smoking for them).

• ScottyC13
              ScottyC13 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sam LaGrassa’s in Boston simmers the pastrami in a beef broth before service. It is smoked until done first. Best pastrami I have ever had and I’ve been to Katz, which is also excellent. It was super moist and tender and not salty at all.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here