Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raw Beef/Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw Beef/Lamb

I am 60+ and my whole life ate raw beef and lamb. My fave is with garlic powder, onion powder, h salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar. Anyone else out there have other recipes?

My first experience with raw beef was bouef tartar in the south of France and I still get it to this day. Raw chopped beef, salt and pepper, capers, mustard, cornichons, held together by an egg, some fresh thyme and rosemary. It was delicious. My wife likes it also.

Comment

I grew up on "steak tartare" on the weekends.
      My dad used to make big plater of different mini open faced sandwiches on Sundays. One of which was the aforementioned.
      I still love it to this day.

1lb fresh ground beef, I let my butcher choose what’s best.
      I always use a hard pumpernickel bread. Usually 3 slices will do.
      Slather on a good coating of butter on the bread.
      Spread the raw chopped/ground beef on top, about a 1/2” thick.
      Coat it with enough salt to make it look like it snowed on it. And sprinkle a good amount of black pepper.
      Here’s what puts it over the top.
      I use enough finely diced Spanish onion to make a grown man cry and pack that on top of the meat.

Damn I’m hungry now.
      If I can find some pics in my archive I will post them.
      Enjoy.

dang. I went back and cain’t find any pics.
      Soooo that just means I gotta do this really soon and add to this post.
      Last edited by Steve B; September 20, 2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

First time I met my future MIL she had the future Mrs. H make me a cannibal sandwich. Raw chopped beef and onion on a good rye bread from a German butcher in NJ. I was and still am adverse to totally raw meat. I had her throw it in a pan to cook. I think I failed that test but I must of done something right. She let me marry her daughter a few years later.
        Last edited by HawkerXP; September 21, 2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          met Mrs. H in 1978, butcher was either Haldon Pork Store or in Tice Farm. North NJ, Mrs from Ridgewood. Steve B

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Tice farms is now a big shopping center. 15min from where I live. It’s called tice’s corner.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          yes, we saw that some time ago when back for a visit. The apple cider, and donuts..... ahhhhh just memories now. Steve B

I'm told it was called "raw dog" when served at the firemen's stag years 'n years ago. (It was a wimmin-not-invited kind of event - use your immaginashun.) Raw ground meat, onion, salt, pepper. My Mister thinks it did not have any egg in it, but he's not absolutely certain about that point. He declined to partake.
        Last edited by IowaGirl; September 21, 2019, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Vicariously living raw! 😆

Love to order beef tartare in restaurants but have not worked up the nerve to make it at home. I would likely be the only one who would eat it anyway.

Comment

I aquired a liking for Basashi (raw horse meat) in Japan. Not easy to find. Served with grated garlic and raw quail egg. Very tasty.

Comment

Here is a Steak Tartar similar to what I had in the south of France and the one we now use. Took me a while to find on line. https://www.saveur.com/article/Recip...Steak-Tartare/

Enjoy.

Comment

• dubob
              dubob commented
              Editing a comment
              Access to the link is blocked by ad blockers so no go for me. Fortunately, there are other non-blocked sites to get recipes should I see the need.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here