Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket: Prep to freeze and reheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket: Prep to freeze and reheat

So, I'll start my first topic, and if this had been discussed before, please post the link and I'll shut up and learn.
    I am toying with the idear of cooking to finish, brisket that would be sliced and portioned into specific weight sizes and then frozen to sell. My concern is, what can I do in the process that would keep the finished product from drying out when it is reheated, or maybe that is determined by how it is thawed and heated. My thought is to do the bulk of the cook via SV and then finish on my BGE. Thanks so much for your consideration.

Freeze with juice. Dad back homes cooks briskets weeks ahead of time to freeze and reheat for Knights of Columbus fundraisers. Serves like fresh.

Comment

• Sir Vancelot
      Sir Vancelot commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod, thanks. does he slice it pre or post freeze?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Pre-freeze slice.

Brisket freezes very well, especially with some meat juice in it. Since there are only two of us I think I have found a pretty good way of freezing planned overs I cut 1/4 inch slices and dip in au jus then seal in 1lb. +/- vacuum sealed pacs and into the freezer. Give instructions for reheating in the pack by microwaving or boiling water bath. As an accountant make sure you price things out correctly. Final yield of brisket vs.cost, packaging, overhead(utilities, etc.), labor, etc. If they want larger packs offer preorder.

Comment

i leave it whole after i cook it and put it in the fridge. after it's cold enough i slice it up cold so it can't dry out and i portion it out with some cold drippings after that and vacuum seal it

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Very important to cool it to fridge temps before slicing. That way the liquid stays where it is supposed to instead of running out on the cutting board. Also if you vacuum seal hot stuff it throws a lot of liquid basically boiling and can make a mess or at least weaken your seal.

I like to cold slice then vacuum pack them as flat as I can (the thinner you pack them the faster they freeze and thaw later).

Wonderful! Great advise thus far! Thanks guys.

Comment

slice and portion into ziplocks or vacuum pack. To re heat drop the bag in a pot of hot water.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here