Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can I dry brine a sirloin steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can I dry brine a sirloin steak?

I thawed out a sirloin steak in the fridge on Tuesday, took it out and dry-brined it until now. Do I need to put it back in a baggie or maybe plastic wrap until Saturday? Or can it stay uncovered? (continuing to dry-brine)? SWMBO already had meals planned and wants me to wait until Saturday or Sunday to cook it.

Bag or wrap it or it's going to dry out badly on the surface. Should be fine otherwise.

Comment

• SmokingSteve
      SmokingSteve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, was not sure how long the steak can stay in the fridge without cooking it. Wanted everything to be safe and not wasted.

You are already at 48 hours now, W & Th. By Sat you will be at 96 hours. If it is a nice thick juicy sirloin you will be okay. If it is a 1" thick steak you will have an over brined steak. Let us know how thick it is. Also just put it back in the packaging you had it in. Let it soak up any juices that are in the baggie.

You will have to let us know how it comes out.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 19, 2019, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      No brining time is the main part of the equation. Salt is always a 1/2 teaspoon per.pound of meat except for rare exceptions explained by Meathead. The brining time will determine whether the meat has been under or over tenderized.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Over-tenderized (?) vs over-brined? Go on.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Which ever @Willy.LOL.

How thick is it

Comment

Sirloin steak approximately 1 and 1/4" thick. Started dry brining approximately mid-day on Tuesday.
      Last edited by SmokingSteve; September 19, 2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

What was the date on the package, I think it will be fine. I would bag it. I did a dry brine for 30 days. On a hole packer. But it was not just my taste. Others love it,

Comment

If this was a wet brine, there's a the definite chance the meat will become too salty if brined too long. The OP is doing a dry brine, however, so there's no issue with over-salting or "over tenderizing" the meat. There isn't an excess of salt present like there is with a wet brine. The steak will be fine.

I agree with the consensus that you should cover the meat so it doesn't dry out before you can get it cooked. If you would happily cook and eat any other steak after it's thawed and then kept refrigerated for 4 days, then the same is true for this dry brined steak. I wouldn't worry myself.

Comment

Thank you all! I have placed it back in a zip lock baggie in the fridge and will let you all know how it turns out this weekend.

Comment

you just have to worry about how dried out it gets. if it's still red and doesn't stink then you'll be fine covering it. don't worry about "over-brining" it. that isn't a thing, you'll just have some really well distributed salt particles is all

Comment

So I grilled the sirloin steak on Friday night. Did Low and Slow with a Reverse Sear on my Grill Grates on the flat side. It was yummy! Varied from medium-rare to almost medium due to not all the same thickness, but was tender and juicy. I think I got a pretty good Maillard reaction, but did discover it is time to clean the bottom of the Grill Grates.

Attached Files

Comment

Looks pretty darn good.

Comment

Excellent 🥇

Comment

Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great looking steak cook!!!

I did a couple experiments with steaks awhile back:

2" thick ribeye dry brined with salt uncovered and elevated on a drying rack in the fridge for 5 days. This thing ended up being bright red but dry as shoe leather and very hard to the touch.
                        I got my chimney full of charcoal going and did a front sear then dumped the hot coals in the SnS on the weber with some post oak and brought it up to 250F. Just before I put the steak back on I hit it with some Montreal Steak Seasoning. Cooked it to 130 IT.....one of the best steaks I've every had.

The other steak I dry brined with salt and wrapped with a clean white kitchen towel and set in the coolest part of the fridge. Everyday I changed out the cotton towel, I did this for 10 days. Cooked it as I did above and again it was an awesome steak but I'm not so sure I didn't like the uncovered shorter brined steak better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here