Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Porterhouse Lost It's Luster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    I have a friend who has taken me out to steakhouses countless times and regularly threw business dinners at steakhouses. But he doesn't eat steak. He would always order chicken. In his opinion the best chicken he could get was at a nice steakhouse so he was always happy.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    I don't see the allure of a tomahawk. The amount of meat you get for a 24oz is about the same as a 16oz ribeye without the cutting and gnawing and the meat is cooked evenly through unlike the tomahawk which is very rare at the bone. I order one every once in a while when they don't have a 16oz ribeye but that is it.

Leave a comment:

• TripleB
    replied
    Growing up our family would go out to a steak house maybe twice a year. The steak house was "Joe Petrelli’s" and the unspoken rite of passage for a young man (I had 3 brothers) was to order and eat the "Joe’s Special". A 22-24 oz. Porterhouse steak. A lot of good memories watching my brothers work through that side of beef, being cheered on by family and my dad. It was my fathers favorite steak.

But not mine. IMHO, the porterhouse house is to tricky to cook properly, as has been mentioned by others. Also, NY strips and filets are not my favorite steaks. My preference is the rib-eye, cut from the small end. For size, volume and flavor, I think the Tomahawk rib-eye is superior to the Porterhouse. The Tomahawk rib-eye is the new Porterhouse.
    Last edited by TripleB; September 16, 2019, 01:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ColonialDawg
    replied
    I love a good Porterhouse. I use to cook those for the wife and I - she’d eat the filet and I’d eat the strip.

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    commented on 's reply
    mountainsmoker A porterhouse needs to have a tenderloin section that extends at least 1 1/4” from the bone. These certainly look like they qualify to me, especially the top one.

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    We did a lot of hamburger helper, and hot dishes ( or as I call them, church basement dinners) while growing up. Then there was a period I think for about 6 months while my parents were building a new home, we rented a house that did not have a stove top or oven, so everything was made in electric skillets or an electric burner. Now steaks, that I only remember good steaks from my grandpa, always a great beefy and black pepper flavor, probably why I like black pepper on beef.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 16, 2019, 01:56 PM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    I don't know how I'd do it with reverse sear and my current cooker, but I found for normal grilling with at least 2 separate burners you just keep the smaller side away from the hot side

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    I am going to disappoint you. What you have there are T-bones. The filet section is very thin and does not extend out from the bone more than 1.5 inches. A porterhouse would have a nice rounded filet section, extending out about 2-2.5 inches from the bone. See Troutman below they are porterhouses
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 16, 2019, 11:23 AM.

• MarkN
    replied
    I didn't grow up on Porterhouse/T-Bone (or most other steaks for that matter). But my wife and I visited our son who was doing a year of college abroad in Florence back around 10-15 years ago. As with so many things, once I see "the real deal", I have to try to duplicate it at home. In fact Richard Chrz's pictures above look a lot like how/what I attempted. Although I never see steaks like that pre-wrapped, they are readily available from local butchers around here. We probably do one of these about once every summer. Sort of our summer version of a Thanksgiving turkey. And yeah, one of these serves about four (or more) of us. I guess that makes me sort of a "lightweight" when it comes to devouring steaks.

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    We had steak night every few Saturdays. My did would grill some hamburgers and one large top sirloin on the Portable Kitchen he bought when he came back from 'Nam. He'd let the hamburgers soak in the juice from the steak and we kids had our fill of delicious burgers. Of course, there was always a small piece of sirloin for each of us kids. I can still remember how those tasted and the aroma of grilling.

Dessert was marshmallows toasted over the dying coals.

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Two words: Bistecca alla Fiorentina!

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DA53A75A-2210-4CDD-BF8B-530CB2C10204.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	744363Click image for larger version

Name:	1F7EBC23-75CC-41DF-83A0-E1E6B50F7B24.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	744362Click image for larger version

Name:	56968291-AC8F-4A42-931A-B21D091A9F02.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	744364

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    I WILL ALWAYS CONSIDER THIS THE KING OF BEEF STEAKS...ALL OTHER MUST BOW DOWN

Click image for larger version

Name:	Porterhouse Steak 04.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	744355Click image for larger version

Name:	Porterhouse Steak 05.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	744354

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, Porterhouse haters. Interesting....my pistols are cocked ....

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Yea it's called free if you do it the whole thing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here