Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Porterhouse Lost It's Luster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny you mention the Porterhouse T-bone question. I have been pondering the same thing for a while.

My very local grocery store (Ed's Way) has helped me make up my mind. Their ribeys which are high quality and delicious are +/- 13.99 lb. The sometimes Porterhouses or T-bones Have been 8.99 lb. So I have been gravitating towards the Porterhouses.

I know the butcher and he will special cut the Porterhouse about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" thick.

Reverse seared they are killer good. So the ribeye has that nice sort of fatty flavor and that porterhouse and the t-bone or porterhouse has more of that leaner steak flavor. Both good. So when the ribeys are on sale I buy them. Lately it has been the Porterhouses that are on sale. Nobody has complained yet...
    Last edited by troymeister; September 15, 2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Porterhouse is my go to,,,,
      1-1/2” ,drybrined and reverse seared and this dude is ready to pop another cholesterol pill with a smile
      All done on my Jumbo Joe
      Last edited by Greygoose; September 17, 2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Our butcher had CAB porterhouses on sale for $7.99/lb a few weeks ago. I bought 8 of them so they're in vogue at our house!! I like them a bit thicker than he cuts them, but I won't quibble at that price.

They also had a sale on pork butts for $1.59/lb last Friday. Myself and a couple of other guys were sitting in his parking lot when he opened.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; September 15, 2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          They also had a sale on pork butts for $1.59/lb last Friday. Myself and a couple of other guys were sitting in his parking lot when he opened.
          Ya remind me of somebody, Cap'n...jus cain't quite recollect who...

I see less bone-in steaks where I shop, it's almost rare to find them. Maybe it's not so much the p-house but the bone-ins that are losing their hold with grocery shoppers? They seem to still be popular in steakhouses.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          That was part of my argument as well... Also do retailers make more from the individual cuts that make up a porterhouse and t-bone as opposed to combined cuts.

They are hard to find around here. I have called around and found some and so I ordered them. When I went to get them they were already packaged. When I got them home they were only just about 1" thick. When I talked to one store the "butcher" told me all t-bones were porterhouse. That didn't sound right to me since at the time I thought Porterhouse was just the first cut. So I looked it up and found the difference. All porterhouses are t-bones but not the other way around. Learned it has to do with the thickness of the filet from the bone. So I then realized that the ones I got were not really porterhouses but slightly larger t-bones. If I order local again, I'll do it in person and hopefully they will cut to order.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, here is a meat cutting lesson. The porterhouse and T-bone come from the same sub-primal that includes the sirloins and the filet. In the forward section is the porterhouse, the sirloin and filet is larger and there are depending on thickness about 3 porterhouses per side of a steer, behind this are the T-bones the sirloin and filet are smaller and at about 1' there are 4-5 per side of a steer.

If you don't see porterhouses in a grocers, they have taken them for filets and sirloins.

Porterhouse.... MEH..

A good "Florentine" is another issue altogether.

one side cooks faster, one side is bigger, you pay for the extra inedible waste and plus you gotta cut all that way around that bone. Then you cut your lip and or tongue gnawing at those crevices trying to get the last of the meat in there. So
        much work.

I’m exhausted!

honestly though if it’s priced right I’ll eat just about anything.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; September 15, 2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea it's called free if you do it the whole thing

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know how I'd do it with reverse sear and my current cooker, but I found for normal grilling with at least 2 separate burners you just keep the smaller side away from the hot side

I’m with HouseHomey on this. Not a big filet fan, especially if it’s not cooked perfectly. And getting the strip right with the filet is a bit tricky. And ATC, if I were gonna challenge people to eat an absurd amount of prime cut, 36 Oz of ribeye would be a harder eat, given the satiation effects of fat and protein.

Ive has it in Florence, and it was good. I’ve replicated at home, and it’s good. But I’d rather have a Bible thick strip steak. Or a nice skirt steak.

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey any marinade for your skirt steak? Or just salt and pepper.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Smoking77 it takes anything well. Generally a tequila marinade (soy, werstshire, cilantro, oj, garlic, shallot etc. blend and strain) or Achiote Marinade. Nothing wrong with Salt and pepper though.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, Porterhouse haters. Interesting....my pistols are cocked ....

Well, here in Grants Pass, Oregon you can get a very excellent 24 oz. Porterhouse at "115 Broiler" steakhouse ($41). Though I have noticed the meat cases are not loaded with T-Bones and Porterhouse like they used to be.
        The 115 Broiler Steakhouse is Southern Oregon's Best Kept Secret, It is considered the best steakhouse in Southern Oregon.

Comment

This reminds me of a time about 25 years back when my wife and I were at the store. I saw some "Porterhouse Tails" in the cooler section on sale. I said, "Let's get them". She gave me this really odd look. Then it dawned on me. I said, "It's not tail meat! It is the tip of the Porterhouse they trim to get the right shape!"

A lady standing behind us said, "I thought that too!"

They were delicious of course.

I haven't seen Porterhouse for a while either. My main grocer doesn't even carry brisket anymore either due to low demand.

Comment

I love a good porterhouse. It is my favorite cut. Use the cold grate method to cook them and they come out pretty perfect. My last one:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_205448.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	744296

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I am going to disappoint you. What you have there are T-bones. The filet section is very thin and does not extend out from the bone more than 1.5 inches. A porterhouse would have a nice rounded filet section, extending out about 2-2.5 inches from the bone. See Troutman below they are porterhouses
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 16, 2019, 11:23 AM.

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              mountainsmoker A porterhouse needs to have a tenderloin section that extends at least 1 1/4” from the bone. These certainly look like they qualify to me, especially the top one.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              mountainsmoker maybe my photography skills were not up to snuff. The filets were pretty thick and I didn't measure the length. And they were excellent, my wife left nothing but bone. Which is all that matters.

For me, I've always liked ribeye and strip steak never appealed to me. Having said that, I won't turn away a nice t-bone or porterhouse, it just isn't what I prefer. I grew up eating ribeye, simply because that's what my parents served us when it was "steak night". I do think the "tomahawk" trend is silly, I don't get the appeal. Kind of like grill marks, doesn't add anything to the taste of the meat.

Comment

I'd be down for a nice thick porterhouse if I could find one. I always loved that cut. It's what the "rich folks" ate when we were growing up and chowing down on Hamburger Helper instead.

Steak night was a large, well done and dry sirloin steak, divvied up amongst us all. It was a good impetus for me to want to get a good education and a well-paying job.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; September 16, 2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Those well done dry sirloin steaks were all we had when I was growing up. That is why I hated steak, and asked for hot dogs instead. I had my tube steak, wolfed it down, and was back outside playing while the rest of the family chewed.... and chewed... and chewed...

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh those "church basement dinners" (casseroles)--how well I remember them, Richard Chrz . Half the time I couldn't tell if it was chicken or tuna mixed in with those noodes, canned veggies and canned soup delicacies. All tasted the same.

Kathryn

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc , exactly. and to this date I can not nor will not eat anything that has cream of anything soup in it.. basically if my mom made it or I had to eat it in the church basement, I don't eat it. I grew up really not liking food, like jfmorris i wanted hot dogs, and burgers, and pizza. Then i realized one day I liked all this stuff, and it was just my parents did not have the time or take the time, likely a bit of both, to make food taste good.

I WILL ALWAYS CONSIDER THIS THE KING OF BEEF STEAKS...ALL OTHER MUST BOW DOWN

Name:	Porterhouse Steak 04.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	744355Click image for larger version

Name:	Porterhouse Steak 05.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	744354

Comment

Name:	DA53A75A-2210-4CDD-BF8B-530CB2C10204.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	744363Click image for larger version

Name:	1F7EBC23-75CC-41DF-83A0-E1E6B50F7B24.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	744362Click image for larger version

Name:	56968291-AC8F-4A42-931A-B21D091A9F02.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	744364

Comment

Two words: Bistecca alla Fiorentina!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here