Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Porterhouse Lost It's Luster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    That was part of my argument as well... Also do retailers make more from the individual cuts that make up a porterhouse and t-bone as opposed to combined cuts.

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    They are hard to find around here. I have called around and found some and so I ordered them. When I went to get them they were already packaged. When I got them home they were only just about 1" thick. When I talked to one store the "butcher" told me all t-bones were porterhouse. That didn't sound right to me since at the time I thought Porterhouse was just the first cut. So I looked it up and found the difference. All porterhouses are t-bones but not the other way around. Learned it has to do with the thickness of the filet from the bone. So I then realized that the ones I got were not really porterhouses but slightly larger t-bones. If I order local again, I'll do it in person and hopefully they will cut to order.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    They also probably thought they were oh so better than the "red meat eaters".

• Huskee
    replied
    I see less bone-in steaks where I shop, it's almost rare to find them. Maybe it's not so much the p-house but the bone-ins that are losing their hold with grocery shoppers? They seem to still be popular in steakhouses.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Our butcher had CAB porterhouses on sale for $7.99/lb a few weeks ago. I bought 8 of them so they're in vogue at our house!! I like them a bit thicker than he cuts them, but I won't quibble at that price.

They also had a sale on pork butts for $1.59/lb last Friday. Myself and a couple of other guys were sitting in his parking lot when he opened.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; September 15, 2019, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greygoose
    replied
    Porterhouse is my go to,,,,
    1-1/2” ,drybrined and reverse seared and this dude is ready to pop another cholesterol pill with a smile
    All done on my Jumbo Joe
    Last edited by Greygoose; September 17, 2019, 06:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    LOL Brother!
    Many Thanks fer th much needed multiple chortles, chuckles, an even outright guffaws, to aid me about my way, today!

• troymeister
    replied
    Funny you mention the Porterhouse T-bone question. I have been pondering the same thing for a while.

My very local grocery store (Ed's Way) has helped me make up my mind. Their ribeys which are high quality and delicious are +/- 13.99 lb. The sometimes Porterhouses or T-bones Have been 8.99 lb. So I have been gravitating towards the Porterhouses.

I know the butcher and he will special cut the Porterhouse about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" thick.

Reverse seared they are killer good. So the ribeye has that nice sort of fatty flavor and that porterhouse and the t-bone or porterhouse has more of that leaner steak flavor. Both good. So when the ribeys are on sale I buy them. Lately it has been the Porterhouses that are on sale. Nobody has complained yet...
    Last edited by troymeister; September 15, 2019, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Oak Smoke
    replied
    Before retiring I took customers to good steak houses regularly. A lot of them were 30 years younger than me. You could say, this place makes an incredible porterhouse, and often get, I can't hold that much or I don't eat red meat. Their eating habits were different than mine. They would order a fillet or salmon or chicken. I had to smile and bite my tongue. You can have a free porterhouse and you want.....chicken?

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    Never see Porterhouse around here but I don't look for them either with the price of beef around here.
    T-bones, Rib eyes and Strip loins are all the rage around here.
    Best Porterhouse I had was from a gas station/convenience store/butcher shop???? north of Bala, On.
    This guy hung and aged his meat for 90 days before cutting and it was the bomb, my buddy was a magician on the Q and did them to perfection....Man, I'm hungry now just thinking about this….

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    I don’t know. To me the porterhouse is still king. When my wife and I go out to a good steakhouse I always order the porterhouse for 2. Yup that’s right. For 2. Just for me. 🤫😂 Although the last couple of years I’m finding it hard to finish one. Guess my tummy is shrinking. Haaa tell the mirror that. 🥴
    I think all of the grocery stores around me carry
    t-bones and porterhouses. SoI believe it’s still prevalent.

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    I love a good porterhouse, it's 2 steaks in 1! But, for the same price (thanks to the bone) I get a better value with a ribeye by weight. That's my guess why they are dying out anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    I think as people started to like their steaks thicker and rarer, butchers started doing more strips and fillets than t bones, as they can be cut thicker to a smaller portion, which is what people were looking for.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Love us some porterhouse or T bones. Especially when managers special @ 50% off! Oh yeah baby! HouseHomey
    Last edited by HawkerXP; September 15, 2019, 10:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    agreed as well, When I find them at our local grocer, I tyically can buy them on sale for about 9 dollars a lb. I typically buy a few and freeze them at that price.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here