Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Point

Everyone first time ever I have seen a Brisket point in my area. It was at Walmart for $7.00 a pound. A little over three pounds for $20 plus. I am thinking about getting it so I can finally try it. The only problem is it does not say what quality it is. It is wrapped well in that heavy plastic. Has anyone ever seen anything like that. Would you purchase it. There is plenty of marble in it. Need your thoughts. I am thinking the Walmart butcher got some whole packers and cut the points off and vac sealed them. Sorry to keep editing. The flats were beside them in the meat rack but they are all gone.
    Last edited by Guy; March 26, 2015, 04:09 PM.

ANY brisket point will do. My feeling on brisket point is that it can almost be cooked twice.

Take that sucker up to 200+, cube up and and cook again.

I just took 2 to 205-ish. They are cooling off.

Comment

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod, you are the one I was praying would answer. LOL thanks. Sorry guys but he is the King right?

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod thinking about buying two and freeze one. How long will it be good frozen. Doubt I will wait long.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Wanna be king, get it right.

Frozen properly things are good for a looooong time. I think poultry products, which can be the "ickiest" of all, are good for a year.

Thanks Jerod. can I ask your help on trimming/ and prepping the point when the time comes? Also just for safety what is the proper way to freeze according to the food inspector? Actually I never keep anything long in the freezer except veggies that we grow and even those don't last a year.

Comment

No Jerod Broussard is wrong wrong wrong!! Just kidding!

Often store brand meat, or otherwise ungraded, or simply labeled "USDA Inspected" means it is below Select, which could be "Standard" or "Commercial" grade...but still edible. But Like Jerod says, with a point it's so fatty you'll in all likelihood never notice. If it makes Select, it will be labeled as such. If it is not USDA inspected then it's really hard to say what it is, it could be Excel or it could be Swift, on and on it goes.
      Last edited by Huskee; March 27, 2015, 12:47 PM. Reason: misspellings

Comment

• Guy
        Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        And Huskee is my other best depending on the cook. Learn so much from both you guys.

• Guy
        Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod, let me know what happens. Any pictures?

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Nah. They all wrapped up. I'll be getting up at 2 am, then at 4 am, then at 8 am, not sure what my name will be at those times.

I am going to have the attitude of the cheap meat challenges the cook. Like the coach with the less talent. Hope that makes sense not sure it is the same consequences. LOL

Comment

Really weird, the flats here are double what packers cost, which would just be the point. Not sure how these prices come about.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          1. It takes some doing to remove the flat.

2. If people pay for it.....

• Guy
          Guy commented
          Editing a comment
          John probably come about whatever they want them too. It the don't sell they make them something else. Grinding or whatever.

brisket pic from last weekend
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          That looks like a pellet smoker "smoke ring." NICE!!!!

• Quintin "Q"
          Quintin "Q" commented
          Editing a comment
          Cherry wood red 😄

Jerod and Huskee, do you slice Brisket Point?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          No. I cube it. Check out Meathead's burnt end recipe on the Brisket page.

I hand inspect, since some of those side pieces are waaaay too fatty. Once cubed, they can easily go another hour in the smoker. After tha I will then sauce and broil in the oven, stirring often to get a cookin' of the sauce all around.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I've only done 3, maybe 4 briskets in my life (pricey around here), and I sliced all of it, point included. I liked the point slices better than the flat (juicier & such )but they did want to fall apart more. I have never done burnt ends to know better, I wasn't interested I guess. I'm the wrong guy to ask about technique & preferences due to lack of experience, Jerod is obviously the brisket guru.

• Guy
          Guy commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, pricey is right I paid $7.58 a pound for a Point this morning at Wally World. Hope it turns out or I better have a rib eye for my wife at that price.

Here is some awesome burnt ends I did for a birthday party down the road. This was right before I sauced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4briskt9.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	74391 Click image for larger version

Name:	4briskt8.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	74392 Click image for larger version

Name:	4briskt10.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	74393
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 26, 2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks man.

Comment

My favorite part is the point whether sliced or cubed for burnt ends. I've only done burnt ends twice, so I usually slice. But it all comes down to preference.

Comment

I actually prefer Chuck Roast to Brisket when it comes to price and taste. I seem to get better results with the Chuck Roast and they give the options of slicing, pulling or burnt ends. I'm doing a whole brisket for Easter so I will have another opportunity to work on my flat and point. I think this time I will put a tray of baked beans under the brisket to catch the juices.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here