Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Chuck Roast plan - Any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Chuck Roast plan - Any thoughts?

I picked up a nice American Wagyu chuck roast and have been trying to decide what to do with it. I don't want to do a pot roast or anything like that. Too much fat for that type of cook. I have smoked a couple chuckies in the past but have never loved the outcome (mostly user error) so I don't want to just smoke it like I would a brisket.

So my plan is to use it for shredded beef tacos. Here is what I plan on doing:

1. Rub with a standard beef rub with maybe some hot chili powder included
    2. Smoke for 3-4 hours to get some smoke flavor on it
    3. Cover it with some carne asada marinade (this one is my go-to I have used with skirt steak before: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ipe-kenji.html ), put it in a foil pan, add some beef broth for extra moisture, and cover tightly.
    4. Continue to cook until it shreds.

I would be hoping for some super moist and succulent shredded beef with a ton of flavor. Any thoughts on doing a chuck like this? What would you do differently?

I really can't help with the chuck - I haven't had much luck smoking them either. But thanks for the carne asada marinade link. That looks pretty darn good.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoke to bark, then wrap with liquid for braise. 90% of the time it works every time. The rest, some chuckies are just from tough cows.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack I haven't wrapped and braised, just smoked to temp. I'll try that next time. Thanks for the tip.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      When smoking the chuck put a pan underneath and catch all the juices. Save that for the braise step.

This looks interesting. I just happen to have two nice Costco chuck roast sitting in the fridge. Need to talk with the boss.

Comment

Sounds delicious to me.. post some pics as my mouth is watering already..

Comment

JoeSousa I think you have a good game plan. Once it is in the foil pan and covered tightly, you can finish it off in the oven. I do this quite frequently with my chuck roasts and pork butts. I usually go 275°-325° on the smoker until I get the bark I'm looking for, usually about 2-3 hours, then wrap and toss in the oven. I also like to toss the whole mess into a cooler for a couple of hours after it reaches probe tender.
        Last edited by Craigar; September 13, 2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Ive never even seen a wagyu chuckie (hint hint) but i would not want to mask the natural beefy fatty flavor. Id be tempted to only do salt and light pepper. I cant quite say why...but my gut says cook to slicing rather than pulling. Again, just me.

Comment

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            This one came in my Crowd Cow subscription box. I don't know if I would have ever sought one out to buy but since it was in the box I figured I would give it a shot.

I thought about cooking it like you suggested but I haven't really enjoyed any of the American Wagyu tri tips I have had (again, maybe user error), They have just been too fatty and the flavor of the meat kind of gets lost.

That’s a pretty basic modern barbacoa process. Rub, smoke, braise, shred, soft corn taco, cilantro, onion, profit.

275* for the cook temp is what Matt Pitman does in his videos for the Stars classes.

The thing is braising is that you don’t want it covered in liquid. You want it sitting in liquid. Maybe 1/2 the way up the chuck. He will let it go overnight on the pit with beef cheek. A cow cheek is a tough piece of meat, given that a cow basically chews all day.

Pittman’s recipe is just beef broth or stock, an onion and some garlic. Easy peasy. And of course, Meat Church Holy Cow.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            There you go with 'profit' again

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I wasn't planning on covering it with broth or anything. Just a bit in the pan. And when I say "cover" with the marinade I just mean an nice coating on the outside of the meat, not fill the pan with it. An onion and garlic is a good idea too. Hadn't thought of that.

I really like your approach. I think it will be amazing. Pulled chuck is good but I like your idea of getting more flavor to the core of the roast. I'll look forward to seeing the results. Write this one up in detailed recipe form, I'll be following with keen interest

Comment

5 lbs of choice chuck roast, marinated and on the mak 1 star at 250 now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_082153.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	743406

Comment

I'm doing the same thing today. The smoker has been lit...

Comment

With wagyu, I’d recommend light on seasoning. I’d pull it and serve sandwiches on good buns and light on toppings, I’d use mustard, onions, and pickles. How well marbled were the chucks you’ve done in the past? How well marbled is this one? Is it grain finished? I got a grass fed grass finished purebred wagyu chuckie from Crowd Cow that wasn’t very good.

Comment

While this thing smoked I walked to the tienda for dried peppers to make the carne asada sauce.

Name:	20190914_094119.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	743565

Name:	20190914_143658.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	743563

Name:	20190914_143607.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	743564

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Outstanding!
                    Nice color.

8 hrs on the pellet popper at 260 degrees f to an IT of 170, wrapped and in the oven at 275, probe tender an hour later at 185 IT. Held for another hour. Interesting flavor profile. Next time more garlic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_165511.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.68 MB ID:	743619Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_165448.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	743620
                  Last edited by lostclusters; September 14, 2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks really good

Click image for larger version  Name:	76B25B1F-9AC6-4133-97B9-2C1BA10BAA50.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	743627Click image for larger version  Name:	C4C3B797-BAB9-4D47-8246-6E189AB95266.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	743628 On PBC until 170s. Put in foil pan with a little beef broth until tender. 6 - 7 hours.
                  Last edited by HawkerXP; September 14, 2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• lostclusters
                    lostclusters commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What temp did you cook at? I'll beat at least 275. Did you wipe off the marinade before cooking?

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes PBC runs around 270. lostclusters Mrs. H nixted the marinade for this round.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've been waiting for that photo. Too bad I can't stick my fork through the computer monitor screen to score a bite. Looks so good!

Kathryn

Here’s a couple chuckies I did a couple weeks ago. Unwrapped the whole way. Took up to 208 IT. Average PBC temp around 275. Super moist and tender!

Name:	4BD342EA-BFF7-4A68-A55B-AF388099FBE1.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	743661Click image for larger version

Name:	D9B2D3E3-B4EB-4F44-AC6C-FE0649E19FE8.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	743662Click image for larger version

Name:	06A21B0A-769C-4BEF-8986-DE57908427A7.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	743663

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    pbc, pbc, pbc......

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sooooo pretty!

K.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here