Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split brisket question

Did another brisket and changed a couple things and looking for some advice.

Background: I had a 15 lb prime brisket packer. The first thing I did differently was I separated the point from the flat. Dry brined for 42 hours. Rubbed with Black Ops after first injecting it this morning. On Yoder at 250. Cooked for 5 hours with point internal temp being 165-170. Flat was 160.

The second thing I did differently was to wrap the pieces in butcher paper (usually I wrap in foil). The point took 2 more hours and was probe tender at 208. The flat, however, was still only 170-180 and wasn’t probe tender. I cooked it another hour. Temps were 180-198 depending and while the bulk was probe tender there were still areas that seemed to need more time. I pulled the flat. And it joined the point in the faux cambro for 2 hours.

The flat was good. Good flavor and still moist although it was a bit chewier than I would have liked, however, there seemed to be variations between the pieces. The point was outstanding. Kind of wish I could just get points.

Any suggestions on what to do in the future would be appreciated. I pulled the flat because I didn’t want to let it dry out too much. Should I have wrapped in foil? Think I liked the butcher paper for bark preservation better. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

If you get actual bark, foil won't ruin it. Run hotter if you want things to bark up quicker. The top of the flat is the VERY LAST THING to get barked due to all that moisture escaping.

Quit probing your point. Just take it like you did to 208-ish then cambro for a couple hours. Even a 170 oven hold does well for points.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jerod Broussard. You think I would have been better served to cook the flat a bit longer then?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweaty Paul, it sure sounds like it, I can say that cause I've screwed up my share. I had a beautiful Choice flat that was still not probe tender at 203. ugggghhhh The highest I really want to go on flats is 205, then let a long warm rest eeek out the remaining tenderness.

Sounds like ya ticked alla th boxes, done things proper...Nice Job!

I'd haveta reckon what ya had with yer flat was jus that brisket, bein itself...

That's gonna happen...

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      These briskets are cantankerous Mr. Bones. I’m not quitting though. New plan for next cook. Have another prime packer in the freezer.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lookin forward to yer next, Sweaty Paul !
      Got a 18.1 lb. Choice, wet agin in my fridge...

There is another option. You could wet age for about 30 days, (from the pack date). That will help with tenderness. That is, if you are getting your packers still in the cryovac bag...

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      I am. Something to try for sure. Thanks for the suggestion RonB

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      I wet age every brisket for 30 days. I usually buy a couple and smoke one when it's ready and put the other one in the freezer for when I need the next brisket.

I did almost the same thing yesterday but with an 8lb point cut. Dry brined for 24, seasoned and smoked at 250ish for 4 hours, then wrapped in butcher paper for 2 more. Temped out at 195. Tender and very moist with great bark. Lots of juice for dunking.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      How did you recover the juice? Thanks for helping celticman

Also trying to do a corned beef for the first time in hopes of having it on Sept. 17th--Halfway to St. Paddy's Day. Let you all know how it turns out.

Comment

The juice was captured in the butcher paper. Very tasty.

Comment

No one brisket is going to be the same as an other. Ya, just got to take em as they come. Some are ready at 185-190 another won't be ready till 210. You did right by separating off the point. I have never wrapped a brisket in 40 years of smoking them. I also smoke them at 275. An hour to two covered with foil on a platter with a couple of towels was the old fashioned Cambro, before fancy coolers came along.

Comment

Quite frankly after all the briskets I've cooked; stick burner, pellet smoker, Weber kettle, WSMs, I've come to the conclusion that brisket flats are for the birds. I've cooked some pretty darn good ones too. If you all remember the 90 day aged brisket I did a few months back, that may have been the best flat ever, but I still did a nose dive into the fatty point for my meal;

Click image for larger version  Name:	45 day brisket 12.jpg Views:	2 Size:	763.9 KB ID:	742185
          Mostly I just cut off the flat up to the point where it wraps over the point muscle. The rest goes into burger grind or into a vat for corn beef pastrami. I'm tired of fighting what I really don't want in the first place.

I think your methods were sound Sweaty Paul. As others have said briskets are all different, but you've got to stick with what generally works and try again. One thing I do routinely as well (and it makes a difference as far as I'm concerned, others would disagree) is to inject. Get some additional moisture and phosphate into that flat. Good luck on your next one, I'm currently corning one, the heck with trying to smoke it as is !!!

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I fixed the flat but good tonight. Made a brisket chili and let the flat braise a bit in some spicy deliciousness. For you Texans out there I apologize, however, I used beans and I like them ! Anyway it turned out delicious and might be my go to if smoke a flat again instead of taking Troutman advice and just do a burger grind because he’s right the
            point is deliciousness.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sweaty Paul; September 11, 2019, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Now that's a tasty looking pot of chili. Looks like it came off Cookie's chuck wagon on a cattle drive !!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here