Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Brisket FAT--amazing--and KETO as all get out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Brisket FAT--amazing--and KETO as all get out

OK, many of you keep the fat you trim from briskets and use it in sausages. A few even render it to oil and I have seen it turned into candles once.

But on a nice prime briskie with very soft fat (none of that hard deckle) AND being a Keto person I tried an experiment. Cut the fat in 1/4-1/2" thick layers and treat it like the brisket. Instead of injecting it I douse it in the runoff injectant and then coat it liberally with salt and my rub. Put it on the top rack while the brisket smokes below it.

Six hours later it has a bark that is as dark or darker than the brisket and looks thinner. I pick up a piece (remember, this is just FAT, no meat) and take a bite. WOW.

That was amazing. Not only that but what cooked out has rained down on the brisket leaving a glistening color on the meteorite below. I thought to myself ---hey, let's see how far this goes. Wound up leaving some six hours and some 10 and some 12. I ate all the 6's and finally shared some 10s and 12s. Crispy bark on the outside with a smooth, oily fat that has absorbed the smoke, salt and rub...it is a think piece so although spices and etc don't penetrate very far, they don't have to. The fat has practically rendered away and the 1/2" pices only show a little fat.

I don't know what to tell you boys and girls but I am going to be smoking brisket fat along with the brisket.

Somebody try it and tell me if I am wrong here!

There is nothing I hate about this idea Maybe call it a Texas Cracklin'

Comment

I could feel my arteries hardening just while I was reading this. Seriously, though, sounds awesome. I'm pretty sure that I've got a big vacuum sealed bag of brisket trimmings in the freezer.

Comment

I'd be there in a shot to partake. As wrong as it may seem any fat that is properly rendered is good to go in my book.
        That's a great snack to have during the cook and seems to be just as enjoyable at the different cook times.
        I'm in.

Comment

sounds like a good idea since im about to smoke a 20 full packer i'll try it and to think about it i have a nice pork belly i think that should go on the top rack as well some times i seperate the point from the flat and put it on the top rack for the same affect.

Comment

OK, Texas cracklins is our first nomination for the name. I thought of fatty burnt ends. Any better ideas?

Comment

I vote for Texas cracklins.

Comment

Artery candy.

Comment

My stomach would do a double back flip with a 360 if I tried this.
                  Payback for a lifetime of abuse....

Comment

It is beef, but as Emeril likes to say...(Beef) pork fat! I have about a quart of rendered cuttings from my dry aged (Umai) rib roast. I keep forgetting, but it is frozen. I owe this brisket I'm cooking the very best...so God help me remember to get the juice out before pictures.

Comment

I have had variations on smoked pork fat. Salo for example but it isn't smoked and rendered down like this. I also have some cuttings left from my standing rib roast that will get this treatment on the next long smoke. Wondering where we can go with Texas Cracklins

Comment

• HawkerXP
                        HawkerXP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm thinking the ER...?

Very interesting. This is something I never would have considered. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thank you! I went keto about a month ago. This is another way to get some good fat in my meals. This whole concept goes against everything I was told until recently. I'm all in. My old dad disliked carbs and ate every kind of fat that came by. I went to his ninety first birthday party last month. Those may be the real Texas crunch.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
                          ddmcwhirter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My wife started with Keto...she had to make "fat bombs" to keep up with the recommended fat. She soon simply changed to extreme low carb. She now spends gobs at Amazon to buy all kinds of flours and such. I must say, she looks pretty dang good now, re-igniting lustful thoughts. LOL. She lost 89 pounds in a year and a few months. I lost ten pounds just by association!

Oh, how we did usedta dang near fight, as young'uns, fer th Cracklins, when Mama, or Gramma was a cookin up some sorta splendiferous thing...

11 kids=Cracklin Rationin imposed lol... Dag Nabbit...

So, now I'm a few days away from 57, an a half...(Yes, I stilll count th 'an a halfs' )

I'd eat these, without hesitation, mainly on accounta: I'm about as far from obese as one can be, an still be alive...my bp remains round lowish, compared to average, an my cholesterol balance remains good...

Partially, too, is I jus don't want it in th local paper, or on my headstone, that Cause of Death was from chokin on a hunk of smoked tofu, or even kale...
                        Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 10, 2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Well, the name, Texas cracklin's, is a given.

As for the process: I'm real curious. Is this the fat that separates the point and the flat? Or do you trim off the fat that covers the flat? We need photos! I think you struck gold there, I'm real curious to try it. I'm a big fan of fat, so this could be a big hit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here