Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime vs Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime something other than Ribeye... Flanks, skirts, etc.

Comment

I haven't read the other responses above yet, so I may be repeating or in direct opposition to what others have said. But personally I would never buy a Prime ribeye, but would MOST DEFINITELY buy a Prime strip! I love me a good strip steak, and Primes, to me, are worth it. Ribeyes are just too fatty anyway (to me, I must stress this), and not in a good way like brisket point where it's all rendered and soft, no ribeyes are mostly waste fat for me. On that note, I personally don't think a Choice or Prime brisket is much difference. The flats are always dry and the points are always awesome regardless. If I see a good deal on a Choice brisket I don't hesitate at all. Again, just my personal opinion from my personal experiences.

EDIT: And I must add, I've seen your cooks you've posted and I think you are one humble pitmaster. You certainly look like you know what you're doing. Give me lessons!

Comment

I know it’s not a USDA grade for beef but I usually buy Certified Angus Beef (CAB). They market it as the top tier of the choice range and bottom tier of the prime range. It usually only costs me a dollar more a pound than standard choice meats here in central Ohio and I believe it is a better cut of meat than the standard choice cuts I get in the stores.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup ... I'll pretty much always choose CAB over choice or prime if it's available.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Before Certified Angus was the rage I had a neighbor that had Iowa State Fair Grand Champion bulls, they were the Limosin breed. The money he'd get for breeding those bulls was insane. The beef was also excellent. I'm not 100% sure how Angus won, but reading a while back, Limosin and another breed actually produce better tasting beef in blind tests. However, I think Angus won because it produces close to the same quality in livestock that is quick to grow to market size.
        Last edited by glitchy; September 7, 2019, 10:08 AM.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Anyway, was just sharing some probably useless trivia type information. Always think of my old neighbor. I worked a few times on his farm and he was a jokester and cornball and always picking on me, but I liked him. Myself, if I could find Limosin beef I'd buy it over CAB, but I'll take CAB Choice over about any other breed of Prime.

I personally love prime ribeyes. I love tons of flavor which includes a great deal of marbling. But, as you have already read in this thread, some don’t like that much fat/marbling.

I also like my steaks that are raw in the center (105 degrees) and charred on the outside, which most don’t care for.

I think trying a few prime cuts, as the budget allows, to find what really makes you happy. Having someone over to share 2 steaks at the same time would by my way to hone in on what I like.
      Last edited by MrMeat; September 6, 2019, 12:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I had a Prime ribeye at Ruth Cris's and it was the worst rib-eye I had ever had. So much marbling that it had no flavor of beef. Learned my lesson. It was at least 1/3 fat that I could not eat. While nicely served on a very hot metal platter, just to much fat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here