Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dino Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dino Ribs

I cooked by far and away the largest brontosaurus beef short ribs I've ever seen over the Labor Day weekend. First off I've posted several beef rib cooks in the past so one more wasn't really something I intended to do, but after procuring cooking these I just couldn't help myself. Beef short ribs are, next to maybe Picanha, my favorite cut off the cow. I go into beef nirvana everytime I eat them.

A little back story to go along with this. All of the beef ribs sold in my local HEB are back ribs, or those ribs cut off the top of the rib cage within the 7 bone rib section, immediately attached to the prime rib or ribeye cuts. Tasty but not really a lot of meat on the bone and that by design. If I go to a butcher or a Whole Foods I can get plates but they are almost always cut from the chuck section or the first 5 bones of the forward rib cage. Now don't get me wrong these are excellent as well and chuck ribs when cooked are nearly identical to the big shorties, they just have a smaller rib bone. They are usually sold in 4 rib plates.

That leaves the quest for the big, bad, beefy short ribs that come from the bottom of the rib cage cut from ribs 6 thru 12. Generally you see them in a 3 bone or even 2 bone configuration since they are so large and beefy. Again these are sometimes hard to find in my area and I generally just break down and order them online from the likes of Crowd Cow or Matador Prime.

This time; however I wanted to try the offerings from Porter Road, said to be the biggest and baddest out there. I tried to order them a couple of times and each time they claimed they were out and put me on a waiting list. When they got some in they'd send me an email that said hurry we have some. I'd pop on line immediately only to find out they were sold out again. Not to be deterred on the third try I called them right away. I dropped a hint about my AR affliction and after what was the strangest phone conversation, the guy says he has to check and he'd call me back? OK, so about 15 minutes later he calls me back and says how many do you want? Thinking they sold 4 bone plates I just said to send me two plates. No problem he says.

Well to my surprised what showed up was half a figgin' cow. I got two six bone plates, nearly all the short ribs from an entire cow. Whooo hooo it was like Christmas and Easter all rolled into one. So over the holiday I thawed one of those babies and went to work on it. So enough jibber jabber, here's the monster in question,

Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.50 MB ID:	739391
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.86 MB ID:	739392
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.22 MB ID:	739390

Not only are they big but check out the amount and thickness of the meat on these things. Generally when I buy plates I usually get a good inch to maybe an inch and a half of meat. Not these, they were easily 2" consistently across the plate....

Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.20 MB ID:	739393
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 09.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.55 MB ID:	739394

So I cut the slab into 3 - 2 bone sections and dry brined for about 48 hours. Of course as every true Texan will attest, the only way to season these bad boys was with lots of pepper and a bit of granulated garlic powder....

Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.31 MB ID:	739395

So on they went into the smoker at 275*. It was hot outside, like 105* with the humidity factor over the weekend, so the smoker was running hot. Here's the ribs half way through the cook. I generally spritz once an hour to encourage bark formation. Note also the pull away and puff up of the meat. Generally that occurs during the cook and peaks on a normal plate at maybe 3-4 inches max. Oh no not with dino ribs, these bad boys were puffing to 6 inches or more....

Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.79 MB ID:	739396
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.04 MB ID:	739397

With the smoker running hot, I was able to get to probe tender in right at 5 hours. Generally it takes at least 6 for beef ribs so I thought these would take forever. Just the opposite occurred. I temp'd them at the end and they were riding at around 203* or so, but again butter smooth probing was what I was after. No wrapping involved....

Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.90 MB ID:	739398
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 14.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.79 MB ID:	739399

I'll let the ribs speak for themselves. Again the biggest, baddest beef shorties on planet Earth. Huge shout out to Porter Road. These things are the real deal, can't wait to cook the next rack.

(And by the way, the final picture was the one I had for dinner. Trout is out !!!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.56 MB ID:	739400Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.16 MB ID:	739401

Last edited by Troutman; September 4, 2019, 09:56 AM.

Okay I have to try these. Hot damn they look delicious.
    Just joned the wait list!
    Last edited by ofelles; September 4, 2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Ordered some chuck ribs from Crowd Cow. will post how they turned out.

I also had no luck in the past trying to get these from Porter Road. Always sold out. I did try their Texas Short Ribs and SVQ'd them with mixed results. The meat was delicious, but there was so much fat in those ribs that they were a little tough to eat. I will definitely buy from them again in the future because the meat on the ribs was very tasty and the tri-tip I reverse seared was incredible, but figured I would avoid the ribs in the future. This has changed my mind if I'm ever able to find some of those dino ribs in stock. Those look amazing.

This reminds me that I do have two Porter Road chuck roasts in the freezer. Perhaps this weekend...

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Beef short ribs almost always have a lot of fat associated with them. These were obviously no exception. Oh but the meat is heavenly, I give the fat to the dogs.

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think if I had just thrown them on the smoker and taken them up to probe tender they would have had more time and higher cooking temps than what I did in the SV with a kiss of smoke after. I don't think I got enough of the fat to render. I can't find my times/temps at the moment, but I do remember the results seeming to be fattier and the the fat harder to get around than previous short ribs cooks. I guess I'll just have to order more shorties and figure out how to make them right.

They look awesome!

Comment

Damn Troutman Those are insane. 👍👊
      Once in a while RD by me gets three bone plates. But the last couple of times they've been smaller four bone ones.

Comment

Don’t ever post this without inviting me over. Ever.

Comment

Man oh man! Congrats on the acquisition and a beautiful cook. Thanks for sharing. Been a while for me to do beef ribs, and I’ve never done them in this scale.

Comment

I know I’m new, but may I suggest changing the "follow" button label to "follow and drool."

Comment

Those look excellent! I love how beef ribs pull back and puff up like crazy. Makes for some awesome pictures and I love seeing the jaws drop when I drop one of these on their plates.

I cooked a rack of these from Porter Road a few weeks back. It was the first time I have ever seen beef ribs come in a 6 bone slab like this.

The meat was excellent but in my rack it seemed like there was a big vein of fat running through them that was more than I had seen on any other racks I have cooked. Not sure if I just got a bad rack somehow or if all/most of their beef ribs are like this but that much fat in there was almost too much.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                If you look closely there was a ton of fat, it’s the nature of the cut. It’s also what makes them so darn juicy and delicious

• JoeSousa
                JoeSousa commented
                Editing a comment
                I get that but mine had a MUCH thicker vein of fat running through it than any of the dozen or so other racks of beef ribs I have had. It wasn't the good, juicy fat that I hope for in a beef rib either.

Porter Road reached out (without me saying anything about it) asking if the ribs were too fatty. It was a complaint they heard from a few people.

I guess I just need to try again to see if mine was an outlier or if that is the norm for the ribs from them. For research purposes of course.

• jumbo7676
                jumbo7676 commented
                Editing a comment
                I had a similar issue with my Porter Road ribs (commented about it earlier in the post). Was a thick layer of fat running right down the middle that you couldn't really bite through. had the eat the meat above the fat, cut off some of the fat, then get to the meat beneath it.

WOW! Dino ribs for sure. Holy smokes! I have never seen a plate with many bones, you are a luck guy to have snagged that one.

Comment

....yer killin me....

Comment

Can't believe living in Texas and having to order dino ribs online. What's the world coming to? They do look super good though, give you that. Trying mine next weekend.

Comment

All killer, no filler!

Comment

Great presentation Troutman! I love beef ribs and am lucky here in Northern Ca. to have one of the best butchers around as he can usually get excellent ribs, or other cuts (top choice / prime) within a weeks notice.

Comment

• ofelles
                        ofelles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Grapefarmer Where is your butcher? Always looking for a place. We have Brentwood Meats here in town who do a pretty good job with notice. Thanks

Awesome Troutman! I love those ribs too. Luckily I found ribs like that yesterday. I bought a slab of 3 x 2 bone ribs, Black Angus from the US. I’m gonna cook ‘me like you did here. Great photos, thanks for sharing! I have never bought a slab as large as the one you found. Cool.
                      Last edited by Henrik; September 20, 2019, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here