Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on second dry aged steak cook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on second dry aged steak cook.

Sooo. After my first Umai 28day dry age ribeye roast/steak cook I wasn’t really thrilled. Not sure if it was my method or ????
    The first steak I SV’d and reverse seared. Not impressed. Kinda dense and dryish with a little off flavor.

A couple of days ago I pulled one out of the freezer and let it defrost in the fridge.
    This time I went the whole cook on my KJ jr.
    Indirect @250 until an it of 128*, overshot my 120* target 😡. Not the end of the world. 😁
    Anyway reverse seared, caveman style right on the coals.

Well let me tell you. This turned out incredible!!!
    Great beefy flavor with an abundance of juices, pics don’t lie. A perfect chew. Just an overall great experience and joy to eat.

I know. I know. Here’s what y’all are waiting for. Click image for larger version

Name:	100DD7C7-0B06-4D29-B104-F3326CD9D7DE.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	739372Click image for larger version

Name:	76ED722D-A838-4CE7-9B35-428211967510.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	739374Click image for larger version

Name:	4849CF0E-B0C7-46C5-8DE1-DDBFB6F23928.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	739373Click image for larger version

Name:	CBA3CEAE-DB11-4D3B-B90A-F4C5E21DE936.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	739375

Glad this one turned out to your liking. I have really only been SVing the dry aged steaks I’ve done because they are in The freezer. I’ll have to plan ahead and try it this way as well.

but, I know the first one didn’t impress, so glad this did.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother.

I've had similar issues with dry aging my own but it was with the longer ageing periods. 28 days is generally perfect for me. When you get up to 45 or even 60 days the meat gets like you describe, kind of chewy with a dry feel. Let's face it you're encouraging the moisture to leave the meat to densify the beefiness. Just seems like there's a point where you miss having that moisture.

You might try sous vide as barelfly mentions, they come out great that way. You might also try a shorter aging period. Once you find that happy medium they are killer steaks. Good luck with the journey !!!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I did SV the first steak which is why I changed my process this time. And with great success.
      I may try going 21 days next time but definitely not more than the 28 I did this go round.

Delicious. Love looking at this types of posts.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad I could oblige. 😁👍

Good job.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron. I was a little nervous about this cook because of the results of the first one.
      But thankfully I was pleasantly surprised.

That looks awesome, practice makes perfect!!!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      So very true.
      I hope the others in the freezer will turn as good.

That is a beautiful result!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you kindly good sir.

Looks great. Am so glad you were happy with the results. It may be me but I would keep the 28 day dry age time. I really enjoy a steak aged that long.

Comment

I've had great luck lately with front searing. I find it easier to hit the desired temp and not having to worry about overshooting with the reverse sear.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here