Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket - separated flat and point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket - separated flat and point

I was just too darn tired to get up in the middle of the night and start cooking. So I decided I would separate the flat and point - then I went back to sleep for a couple more hours. First time cooking a brisket this way - I'm not really worried, but happy to get any advice from those who have.

Got the fire started around 5:30 a.m. and put the separated brisket on a little before 6:30. Should give me plenty of time to cook and rest for a 5 pm target time. It was a 14 lb prime packer. The fat cap turned out to be really thick - over 4 lbs of trim. I'll snap a photo next time I check on it after slurping a little more coffee.

I was thinking about this video from brother Malcolm R on cubing the point for burnt ends - anyone tried this or any variations? What do you think?

Alright here we go. Flat on the left and point on the right.

Rocking the LSG with pecan wood. The pan on the right is the fat to render out - chicharrones for snacking and smoky tallow for omelettes. Oh, and peeking in from the bottom corner is my new-ish fireboard. My old Maverick unit finally died at the beginning of summer.
    ​
    ​

Comment

I'm doing the same this morning. Here's a great BE recipe from Jess Pryles (who's not too hard to look at either): https://jesspryles.com/recipe/best-e...et-burnt-ends/ BTW, your pics aren't showing.

Comment

Same deal here. I always cook this way, way less time, more bark. Just have to be more careful about moisture loss
        Attached Files

Comment

No problem separating the two. I just make sure I leave most the fat under the point on the flat. I also smoke that baby at about 275-300, lots of fat in it to keep it from drying out. A water pan also helps depending on your smoker. I am not crazy about burnt ends but the point makes the best ones. Chop it up at will.

Comment

Makes sense to do that, it's sorta like what i do with pork butts, smaller hunks for more bark and a [hopefully] quicker cook time. However, I still cook mine whole. I separated a couple times and the extra bark on my flat made me not like it as much, was too dry for the wife & I. Plus, I like guests to see that big ol hunk on the slicing table. I find most of my brisket cooks up to 16, 17lbs take 10 hrs to cook to ~200 + 2 faux cambro for 12hrs even left whole. I usually start my fire at 5-5:30a, meat on 6-6:30, eat at 6-7p.

Hope you have/had a wonderful cook and a great evening!

Comment

• radshop
              radshop commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. Yes, it was a great evening and good cook. Your approach is pretty close to what I usually do, too. But I was feeling a little pressure to hit my mark on 5-5:30 serving time because of families with kids on a school night. I didn't want to deal with the stress of a stubborn stall or whatever. So the situation pushed me to try something new - and it worked!

Now that I've done it, I really like it. Not saying I'll switch over entirely, but it's another technique in the bag of tricks. I'll separate the brisket whenever I am pressed for time or to add variety - chopped point is great, but the caramelized point cubes are really something.

I actually dropped the pit temp down to around 220 to go lower-and-slower when I was on track for a 6 hour cook time. I ended up pulling the flat after 7.5 hours and the point after 8. They stayed plenty hot in the faux cambro for 3+ hours. At that point I cubed the point, sauced it, and put the pan back on the smoker to finish up with the chicken and potatoes.

Based on the guest feedback the brisket was definitely the star of the show. Were the compliments sincere? Well, I got recruited to cook for a picnic in a few weeks, so I think they really liked it!
            Last edited by radshop; September 2, 2019, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Good for you. Sounds like a very successful smoke and fun all around.

Comment

My new favorite way to cook a full packer is separating and using some variation of the Malcolm Reid video you attached or this one by Susie Bulloch for burnt ends using the point. Susie also has a chicken lollipop recipe I want to try.

Comment

I separated the flat and point this past weekend for the first time. Worked out great. I will continue with this method moving forward. I had two temp probes in the flat and one in the point. I was able to pull the point much earlier than the flat. Secondly, the flat did not dry out as much since I didn't have to keep it in so long to cook through the whole packer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here