Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flamesboss pit probe failed, save my brisket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flamesboss pit probe failed, save my brisket!

10.5lb brisket went on at 4am, pit was at 225°, my Flamesboss pit probe didn't read the pit temp and it fell to 150°. Meat temp probe is new so it's ok, reading meat temp of 145°. It's 10am, gotta save my brisket, pit temp back up to 235°. No bark tho. Suggestions?
    I was going to wrap in butcher paper at the stall, now I'm thinking I'll push through it naked to get some bark...??
    Attached Files

The bark will still develop. Don’t wrap until you’ve got the bark you want. I’d probably crank the temp up to 275 to help get it done sooner.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      325f and you will form bark fast

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, put th fire to it, sez I...

You’ll also most likely have a weird stall profile, so I wouldn’t time wrapping with it. I prefer wrapping after the stall anyway because that’s when I’ve got the bark I like on my cooker. You may not get any stall until your up to 170-190. Running a low cooker temp like that for so long will cause the stall to occur at a lower temp. You were already breaking down collagen, when you cranked up the temp you pushed through that stall, but will stall again, just at a higher temp than usual...that’s what I’d expect to happen anyway

Comment

So wrap or no wrap?

Comment

• xallanx
        xallanx commented
        Editing a comment
        To wrap or not to wrap... That is the question.

I'd wrap after bark formation.

Comment

If you get the bark you want, then wrap.

Comment

I base when to wrap on bark. If wrapping in foil, I let the bark get "tighter" and darker than I do when wrapping in paper.

Comment

Use your meat probe as your pit probe. Finish your smoke at 275, it is on the high side of lo & slow but the brisket has enough fat to take it. Check the meat every hour with your instant read thermometer. As it gets close to 190 check it more frequently. I have never wrapped in 40 years and don't now. @Meatmead says he doesn't either at home in his recipe. If you do please use a single layer of butcher paper, not foil.

Comment

I believe Meathead says the only thing he does wrap at home is brisket. For me, in my kettle, I prefer to wrap in butcher paper after the stall at around 180 IT. If I don’t wrap in my kettle, I get a really hard thick bark. Temps are also so uneven in the kettle that I feel like wrapping helps even things out for a thick piece of meat where the ambient temps vary by 50 degrees from the top of the meat to the bottom. Each smoker will be different. Temps in my PBC are very even and the bark does not get as hard, so I haven’t wrapped anything yet in my PBC.

Comment

Think brisket is saved.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks jus fine, from here; hope my impendin brisky turns out near as sexy as yers, Brother!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here