Based on the quantity of articles about smoking a brisket that instruct the cook to wrap the brisket once it reaches the stall, it would make one think that that is either the only way or the best way. But I don’t wrap. I don’t even bother it. I let it ride, so to speak. It takes a long time this way: I’ve had a full packer take between 21 and 24 hours to get to 198-205 degrees but oh my, it’s equal to some of the best brisket I’ve ever had and my bark is killer. I season 24 hours prior to cook. I inject Trader Joe’s beef broth and apply rub right before starting the smoke. And then put in probes at two locations and leave it alone until it reaches the temp. Basically a Meathead derived process. I cook at 230 ish.

Is wrapping at the time of the stall primarily designed to speed up the process? Or are their other benefits?

If I was running a restaurant I would definitely want the quicker result you get with wrapping at the stall. But for me, a 24 hour smoke is almost ideal. If dinner tomorrow is at 6pm, I can start it at 6pm the day before. For a smaller brisket or the times that I’m just surprised with a quicker finish, I pull it off and put it in a cooler and it’s still perfect a couple hours later.

Are there others out there that let it ride as well?