Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking a frozen brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a frozen brisket

Thinking of new ways to deal with thin emaciated briskets with no fat. We can't always have a 18lb Wagu to cook. Maybe dry brine/ rub the day before and toss it in the freezer for the night. Then smoke it 325-350f. By theory it should have more bark and smoke ring. Any thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ahumadora; August 30, 2019, 05:02 AM.

May loose some moisture due to purge. Would be better to dry brine and let sit 48 hours for the salt to work its way deeper before freezing. That way when cooking those ruptured cells that loose the fluid will retain the moisture at least between the fibers better. I dunno though. Never tried it. Do two side by side and maybe a 3rd normal to be a control. I would think a better bark due to the colder meat as well as ring.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Great reply!

I can't wait to read your report!

Comment

Are you opposed to phosphate injection?

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora that's what she said...

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Mrs H says I lean to the left.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP obviously you’re left handed. 🤣

I’d QVQ that little flat, only way you’re going to keep it from turning out dry. Just a thought.

Comment

Just do it as planed and tell us how it comes out.

Comment

Definitely the smoke ring should be incredible starting out with that cold meat and using one of your stick burners.
          Can’t comment about the bark though. As I have never tried smoking frozen meat before.
          Good luck and please let us know how about this turns out.

Comment

I frequently cook butts from frozen, and they turn out just fine in about the normal amount of time. Brisket is a different beast, but I think your plan is solid.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
              TNPIGBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I actually think they come out a bit better frozen.

I know you going to do this so we swait your results.

Comment

Ahumadora like Steve R. I've smoked butts from frozen, with a rub on the surface, and had good results. I think it adds an hour or two to the cook, but a brisket like you are talking about is probably not as thick as a frozen 8# butt. I think you will be fine.

Comment

Finally had the chance today due to cirmustances, (butcher had only measly 7lb briskets) so I opted to pull a half one out of my freezer and go from scratch. Had to spray water on it to get the rub to stick.
                Attached Files

Comment

LOOKIN’ GOOD !
                  I think ur on the right track
                  What did you think of the taste and texture ?

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Keeping y'all in suspence....

Well I only had about 20 kilos of mesquite at the house so I had about 3 hours total cook time. Was rushing with work so tossed it on at 200f with dirty smoke. Cooked it for 3 hours till it was about 120f and I was out of wood. Was also cooking 4 pork shoulders so pulled it all and jammed it ( as it jammed to fit) in the oven and cooked on lowest heat posible till the shoulders hit 200f and pulled it all. Brisket hit 165. I will take it to a bbq class on Sunday and finish it off for the clients to eat. Pork shoulder is for my sons 4th birthday on Saturday.
                  Last edited by Ahumadora; November 8, 2019, 03:11 AM.

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the little guy
                    I know the shoulder will be OK
                    I trust ur sons judgement,,,I know he’s 4,,,has had a lot of good culinary exposure
                    what did he think of the brisket ??!!!!

Comment

• Ahumadora
                      Ahumadora commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He loves it when I bring home a smoker from work. Used a 500 gallon RF today. Have it rented to a guy this weekend cooking 200 lbs of brisket.
                      Last edited by Ahumadora; November 7, 2019, 05:16 PM.

feliz cumpleaños a su hijo!

Comment

• Ahumadora
                      Ahumadora commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gracias Hawker!!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here