Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QSQ A Blade (Chuck) Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QSQ A Blade (Chuck) Roast

While I've been an SV fan for years now, I've never really used it for smoking, mainly just SV and then sear. I have a nice 4.5 blade roast that I'd like to try cooking with the smoke/sous vide/smoke method and I'm looking for time and temps from any of you who have done this in the past.
    Thanks!

General prescription for QVQ.
    1. dry brine and season as you normally would
    2. smoke low and slow (225F) to no higher than you final finishing temp (I usually go with 131-135)
    3. bag and sous vide at your finishing temp until required tenderness is achieved. (135 usually takes 36-72 hrs, time depends highly on the cut and desired tenderness, brisket requires most of this for example).
    4. Remove bags to ice bath and cool completely. Store in fridge until ready for final step (can be a few days if desired, because your SV step pasteurized it)
    5. Finish (reseason here if needed) by smoking it until it is no higher internal temp than whatever you SVd at (your finishing step). I like a hot finish for this step (350F) others get better results lower.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...t-step-by-step

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...trami%E2%80%9D

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

pkadare I just saw this post this morning for SVQ Chuck Roast Burnt Ends on hid u tube video. I'm planning on trying it soon.
    Hey All! My name is Darrin and run the Fire & Water Cooking brand that mixes BBQ. Grilling, and Sous Vide cooking! I have a great Facebook group with over 7,000 members, a YouTube

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Skip!

Huge fan of QVQ large hunks of beef. Chuck is the one cut that benefits the most from sous vide because it's a superior tenderizing process without having to cook it upwards of the rendering temperature of 200*+. That means you can cook it to a medium rare, steak-like finish. A while back I put it to the test, could I make it as good as prime rib? Well the answer was no not quite but reasonably close....

Last week I believe it was Mosca who posted an article praising the laurels of sous vide que chuck roast. The writer went on to say he thought it was as good or better than 70% of the

There are also other temps you might want to consider. If choosing 142*ish you get a tender but more medium finish. Shoot it up to about 162*ish you get a more traditional sliced finish that again is very tender to the palate. Be careful with your time. If running up to 162* for example, I'd keep it down to the 18-24 hour range. At the 130* temp I cook at, I've experimented with anywhere from 20 to 40 hours. Here's one done at about 24 hours....

Click image for larger version

Name:	chuck meal 05.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	736865
    What I find at the lower times is a more firm texture which I like. The longer you leave it the more the proteins begin to break down. At 40 hours that firmness goes away and a little more of a fall apart, almost mushy feel occurs. Still good but again I like my meat firm and steak like with a little bit of a chew. I'd recommend about 30 hours for a start at the 130* for medium rare.

Bottom line it's a tough call as to what is best for you. Just remember to smoke first to about 10 degrees below your bathing temp, after your SV cook time shock in cold ice water for 30 minutes, then when ready smoke again to no more than your bathing temperature (very important). Slice and enjoy. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here