Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to try a few new (to me) cuts of beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to try a few new (to me) cuts of beef

I keep seeing photos of Tri Tip (never had even seen it in a store (well, never knew what I was looking for more likely), and I have also never smoked Beef Short Ribs bone in or other. Not sure I have even eaten them that I know of. But, possibly considering treating myself to a few new cooks this labor day weekend. What do I need to know about these (from a purchasing side). I believe I have a bit of understanding (that is probably really cocky and un-true) about cooking them, from seeing them posted so often on the What are you cooking thread. But, are there signs to look for when buying? I don't think I have ever seen picanha (sp?) at a store, but, will look for that as well. What other Cuts would you consider a treat to yourself?

My friend, you are in for a whole world of beefy possibilities. Get a hold of a Picanha if you can, it's my favorite cut of beef of late. They can be had for about $7/# and has virtually no waste if trimmed properly. Or a Teres Major or Hangar Steak.

Also dive into the world of SVQ and QVQ. Take cheap cuts like top round and make the most fantastic London Broil you've ever had. Or even a chuck can be done with a steak-like finish.

The world is your oyster !!! Grab a pearl and run !!!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I will add the Teres Major to my list to look for, also the Hangar steak Have not cooked one of those either, but, I know i have atleast seen those. I think I should put a list together and email one of the area butchers asking if they have, or could cut for me some of these. May be my best option.

Some of these cuts are known by different names regionally, i.e., picanha, culotte, and sirloin cap refer to the same thing. Do your research before you go, and a local butcher may only know the cut by a certain name. I think tri-tip should be pretty universal in the U.S. by now, though at one time not so long ago, it was not.

Comment

• rodkeary
      rodkeary commented
      Editing a comment
      I see tri-tip sometimes packaged as "bottom sirloin".

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent point, this is the predicament I run into all the time.
      The tri tip I buy is referred to as a chuck roast.
      Majority of meat in grocery stores here is prepackaged off-site and shipped to stores for sale.
      That being said I need to up my game to recognize some of these cuts too.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      "Majority of meat in grocery stores here is prepackaged off-site and shipped to stores for sale."
      (SmokinG)

Very true. Even a lot (most probably) of independent small butcher shops are buying box beef rather than sides and just cutting down from the primal or subprimal, which makes getting a specialty cut next to impossible.

I did a picanha (sirloin cap) a few weeks ago. Wasn’t sure what to do so I just dry brined, then went low and slow to 160. I was going to go higher, more like brisket, because it seemed like a tough cut.

It was pretty good. The color was like rare steak. It was surprisingly tender. The flavor was very rich. Will most certainly buy more.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
      SmokeyGator commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I wasn’t sure. The cut just seemed rather tough. there was a thick fat cap but not much marbling. So not really knowing how it would turn out I shot for a higher temp. The result was still good. Didn’t seem overcooked. Next time I’ll pull it sooner and see how that is. But it wasn’t like cooking ribeye to solid brown. The color was still a rich red. And the flavor was much richer than even ribeye.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      SmokeyGator Troutman The butcher near me always has picanha, and I've been wanting to try it. Are you supposed to trim the fat cap off?

• SmokeyGator
      SmokeyGator commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoking77 I trimmed off some of it, but I don’t think it matters too much. It’s easy enough to cut the fat off before eating.

Tri tip is everywhere over in California, but the last time I saw it at my local grocery store it was definitely mislabeled. I would recommend going to a butcher you trust and asking them. I think beef ribs are next on my list of new cuts to try

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Since seeing Tri Tip on here so often, I have found that in our basic grocer meat case everytime I go, but, I keep buying Flank Steak instead. I don't think I have ever seen anything then little beef riblet cuts though, so will likely need a butcher for that.

You are in for a treat when you make the short ribs. They are otherworldly.

Comment

On the Beef Short Ribs, is it best to buy them in a plate? Considering I would want to smoke them Bone in.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I get the ones that are sort of square. It’s just a matter of where the saw went.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I buy them cryopacked 4 plates a pack.

If you get beef short ribs, cook them to like 205-207. I try to buy racks that are pretty even thickness wise from side to side so they cook more evenly. A lot of people cut them and cook as individual bones, though. Beef ribs are one of my favorites. Tri-tip is definitely medium rare or medium at most. Biggest trick with it is cutting, Traeger has a great diagram for showing that on their site, the grain moves 2 different directions. Haven't had the luck of trying Picanha yet.
      Last edited by glitchy; August 28, 2019, 09:28 AM. Reason: Darn auto-correct

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I have read that about the cutting of it,(Tri Tip) possibly one of the mental reasons I have not purchased one yet.I am learning knowing how to cut it is just as important as how to cook it when it comes to final satisfaction. I am amazed at how many times since learning this craft a bit that I took no time to learn how to cut it post cook. And it is not until I just start cutting in that I realized that I should have stopped and read more about it before hand.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's really pretty easy, you just need to see it and it makes sense. If you look at it before you season and cook it, you can often see the grain.

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's how to cut it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU

A little education on beef ribs, seems to be a lot of confusion and misconception on what to ask for when buying. I recently found this portion of Steven Raichlen' Barbecue Bible describingthe different cut;
      • The beef back ribs described above are known in butcher-speak as NAMP 124 (the acronym stands for North American Meat Processors, the organization responsible for standardizing wholesale cuts of meat). They are trimmed off the outside of prime rib (part of the rib primal behind the forequarters) and consist of 7 rib bones with the feather and chine bones removed. Usually, the bones are 6 to 8 inches long and are sold in racks. Some butchers sell individual bones. They sometimes go by the name dinosaur ribs.
      • Plate short ribs—sometimes called plate ribs short and sweet—(the NAMP 123 series) are the biggest meatiest beef ribs, usually sold in 3-bone portions. A single rib can tip the scales at 1 to 2-1/2 pounds and will comfortably serve 2 to 3 people. They come from the plate primal behind the forequarters and near the belly of the steer.
      • Smaller, but still meaty, are chuck short ribs (NAMP 130 series), common in most supermarkets. They consist of ribs 1 through 5 under the neck of the animal and are usually 3 to 4 inches long. A well-marbled rectangle of meat rests on top of a wide bone; they are also available boneless. You can buy and cook them whole. When crosscut into thin strips or butterflied, they may be labeled "Korean-style short ribs" or "flanken." (Argentines know them as "tira de asado." )
      Although I love all three, the least of my favorites are the back ribs. Generally they are pretty scarce on meat because the butcher is trimming them off the prime rib meat. In short you get a lot of "shiners". They're good but not great bang for the buck.

Plate and chuck ribs are almost identical, chuck seems to have a little more fat it seems to me. Chuck are usually sold in plates of 4 bone that are smaller in size.

Which leaves the big, bad, beautiful brontosaurus plate short ribs that everyone raves about. Much wider longer bones, sold as he says in 3 bone plates. I just ordered some from Porter Road and they came in 6 bone plates. Going to fire one up this weekend.

Whatever type you buy, cook them to brisket like doneness and you will fall madly in love !! I guarantee it !!!

Big beefy plates on the smoker;

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	736374

Example of beef back ribs carved from the prime rib;

Name:	beef ribs 07.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	736375

And wait on it.....now drool, we have napkins !!!

Name:	ribs.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	736376

Comment

• SmokingSteve
        SmokingSteve commented
        Editing a comment
        Your sense of timing with the napkin was impeccable!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        ....yer killin me....

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Dino ribs. My favorite beef for the smoker.

Other cuts to try. Cheeks, shanks, tongue. All are great if done right.

Comment

I would also recommend trying flatiron steak. Quite a lot of beefy flavor in that!

Comment

Also bavette, great cut.

Comment

pkadare I agree with you. Bavette is my new favorite. I picked up a couple last night from my local butcher. Dry aged 14 days, so should be perfect.

Comment

Start with those three. Grab your self a prime tri-tip.

Name:	FJW23Ydo8sOJYLUa5rQ_qvZZdDqqGywUQ4iRfkPXBA3JWi6GMLOiZyvoNhO6ru5-T0F1ku9QCItlkU62ec7zQD26lnwCY9qUNoKTcHB9FVDT8q4CjwtJXApeG1ydVY9E8B3UcmqYi33pEKJG3uqhZIHln4oS7Jz1547CT772d-7EoBAnjD0vpSGi8D63AVrEQ3qqAXjL9TH4-EnLPv19Wl30RQuY6vxTfe4EeNmD8E5TRs3m9I32MuWWIJ34b3K
Views:	284
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	736802

You can't lose with bone-in or boneless beef ribs.

Name:	XNRU-E-hyQAV-Sopv77CuDhPKbOMPF-foKFNdkHeMsXroMwQaRpSssJw54AitrOnl901rFAdbwN8mKrrNKawcTva7l4oMmaBTMSl6jXF9Z2GY1Y7V82ss3ACG8EIyiqbssAjd58WRLVJ1OsCnNAn4V45zXJIaMRYGXsMnedymvVQTU72RVqRLkpW7ls2hcyA0ENATNSvfYYdqO9kFPyKn2tHtjlsiEyDaD_75RS24xi4wl2t6BDEq6vbATimJTz
Views:	285
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	736803

Name:	0vfRkvkDrBGGaEJpXq_HLXq4zM6E5E8SUBl6lG8F0L9B9jyGGo-CKwIZlaQD8xkHRZ8VVJqzQyIFnm71TwDW6Xx7UrvVYQQO1Dtc7RR2RuB84CTbOOLDyXNQC6RMNO65MpwyrLb4BBW44_JsdEM0qyB_VpLLrVEkQQOFcRmeeut7G-T3QFClIfgJCxW8g6Kvelsg-5ufrTMs68sHiAwyV_bMSGfF4hBx0_yBQOZgkgMn3o0Q6xmhO6zxBbjsME6
Views:	282
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	736804

When you get your picanha make sure it has the fat cap if you want to do it up like this.

Name:	9RnMxMwkqRWGXBa_3w7Er1PWULPpzn3k_3HxdmFII-nonImzVuF4ulrsqcL_x1IAHleJtXCIvyYaTsaVPy93i-WlVLNxF0xdJ46TqtnlKou9UwXSe1MhXzK2DFxJtq1HjXiLilVuqCPd3IyczM4imMkRrvcw--S07ilv4G28hMCw3ZqZZOvTyK-xFPaZtgV9gDH8JHtRvA1IZu0Q6qNUw32_VZ2gl_K9huuDO1b7QQJWPqlWFeW6Wn1lJ5ppBLr
Views:	245
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	736805

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            What are those round flat discs?

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Bkhuna Do you mean under the rib? Or next to the tri-tip? Under the rib is a creamy garlic polenta and next to the tri-tip I'm searing some mangoes.

@attack Damn you and your photos, you could be an online beef sales person lol all looks amazing!

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I could say the same about you. I look forward to seeing your new beef cut pics.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here