Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket for a small bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket for a small bbq

Question for everyone. I’m planning on doing a half brisket for a small gathering of friends (literally 4 or 5 people) on Saturday. My question is should I cook a flat or point? Which would you cook and why. Please discuss...
    Last edited by panteracfh3; August 25, 2019, 04:24 PM.

Point. It’s fattier, more room for error, tastier, and tastier. Yep. Said that twice.

Comment

I would cook the packer and plan use for the leftovers, when I am cooking’ Brisket I cook a packer.

Comment

Cook a packer and save what you don’t eat,,,burnt ends,,,,freeze some
        Ur not doin hot dogs and hamburgers

Comment

WHile I would agree with SMOG MAN on the packer and leftovers, I would LIKE to agree with scottranda except that it is VERY HARD to find people selling just the point. Maybe you can find them, I can't. It is pretty darn easy to buy just the flat though. It is leaner and a touch trickier. I routinely low and slow the packers but I am a fan of sous vide-a q when it is just the flat. Always tender and you can get a decent smoke flavor with liquid smoke and a fine bark with 3-4 hours on the smoker. You can also even get a nice faux smoke ring in the sous vide by adding pink curing salts. It still feels like cheating to me but the results are stellar.

Comment

Same holds true for around here.
            Briskets are always sold minus the point, cheeses me off but whadya gunna to do.

Comment

I cooked a 9 lb Packer for a party of 10. They can be found. Yes there is leftover but it is manageable.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                your friends must be much smaller than mine.

• jecucolo
                jecucolo commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter maybe but it could be your brisket is better than mine!

Just get a small packer it will take about the same time as a large flat. You will have planned overs that you can freeze or eat the next day. It will still be delicious.

Comment

I also support the small packer option. I regularly see 10-12 lb packers at Costco.

Plus, left overs!

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm rolling with the majority and getting a smaller whole packer. Who doesn't like leftovers?

Comment

Ever make a sandwich with sliced brisket and a Hawaiian roll?

Comment

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't know why your question made me think of that movie line.

Lately I've seen a lot more brisket flats than packers for sale. I can't say I've ever seen a point for sale, unless it was a corned one around St. Patrick's Day.

Comment

buy a packer. Cook the point, and turn the flat into pastrami!
                      Last edited by texastweeter; August 27, 2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• panteracfh3
                        panteracfh3 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m liking where your head is at!

The point from a small packer will not feed 4-5 people plus you and your wife.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here