Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't have a Beef with my Beef.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a Beef with my Beef.

Another visit to one of the butchers that I mainly use for pork belly and made off with 2 whole bellies with a total weight of around 20 pounds bone in. I specifically buy PB from them because their price is far more reasonable than the others I frequent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2524.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	734978

I was chatting with the butcher and asked what the brisket looked like and after checking it out I showed him what section of the bone in brisket he must cut for me. It weighed in at just over 22 pounds. I got him to cut a bit more than half of the whole piece.
    He mentioned before I had a look at the section that it was from a bull. I asked him what was the difference between a bull and a cow and I remarked meat is meat. No he didn’t answer that one is a female and the other a male like I know a few of you around here would.
    I never did get an answer to my question and was wondering if there is a difference in the protein from a him and a her?

From one of the bellies I made burnt ends yesterday and spare ribs with the bone I cut out (just a 2 hour brine) and 2 nice pieces for bacon. The other I did not debone and cut up and dry brined overnight and is undergoing a wonderful transformation in the kettle at the moment.
    Have I ever mentioned that I love pork belly?

I order my brisket bone in and butcher myself because my deboning result is far superior to any that I have bought bone out. You have to ask for it to be deboned as it is not traditionally sold deboned.

Not meaning to brag but I think I’m getting the hang of it. Dry brined and in the fridge for a Tuesday or Wednesday cook.

Name:	SAM_2538.jpg rotated.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	734979

Name:	SAM_2540.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	734980

Name:	SAM_2541.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	734981

Name:	SAM_2544.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	734982

Name:	SAM_2556.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	734983

Name:	SAM_2559.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	734984

Nice. I like that you can get both bone on. The bone on bacon lets you decide how much meat to leave on the bones. The brisket bones can be used as short ribs. for all you have done.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I cut the meat out between the bones for a beef curry.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds even more delicious, I love a good curry.

I'm not gonna say eatin' bull leaves you full of bull. Nope, not me...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here