Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My plan on cooking a porcini-rubbed rib eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plan on cooking a porcini-rubbed rib eye

Here's what I was thinking... I usually don't put any smoke on my steaks, but I think a little smoke would lend itself well to the porcini rub (the rub is dried porcini, sugar, red pepper flakes, and black pepper). After dry brining and adding the rub, I was going to smoke the steak on my RecTec Stampede low (maybe 200 degrees) until the internet temp of the steak is about 100 degrees. Then immediately transfer it to the sous vide and set it for 133 degrees (that's what my Joule recommends for medium). Once it's spent the appropriate time in the bath, I'll shock it, and then when we're ready to eat, sear it on my charcoal grill. Think that will give me good results? Any other tips/suggestions? Thanks!

You could just throw it on the charcoal grill to sear right away. But then again I don't want to get the whole sous vide controversy thing going again.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably a smart idea

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Sous vide? Sous vide? What? We don't need no stinking sous vide...

OK, OK, kidding. I got one...

Sounds good to go Sir.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. But my dad is "Sir." I'm just Dr. Mr. Smoking77

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha Sir er Doc.

133 normally consider as medium rare(130-135). Searing it from cold will not raise the temp much. If you want medium take it to 140-145.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 24, 2019, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do. Thanks!

Ate the steak last night. I loved it, and my wife said it was the best steak I've ever cooked. Searing straight from the fridge is definitely the way to go. I had always thought that was a no-no, but people in The Pit were doing it, so I had to try. There was zero grey band on it. Since the fire was already going, I threw on some broccolini, which charred up great. Here are the pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brocolini.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	736470

Name:	steak.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	736471

Name:	Sliced.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	736472

Comment

Perfect med-rare. It looks absolutely delicious. Broccolini is great on the grill. All in all it looks like you had a 10 on your cook.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Now that's a steak. Got my mouth watering.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wish I could say we savored every bite, but it was so good we just devoured it.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here