Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ways to reduce brisket point fat calories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to reduce brisket point fat calories?

I know, I know, if I’m cookin’ Brisket with the point, WHY would I not want all that delicious "juiciness"?
    Truth is, I don’t need the extra fat, but not sure I can bring myself to cook brisket flat-only. On the other hand, I’ve not done just a flat yet, but worry about getting a dry piece of meat.

OK, my point/question: are there tricks to cooking the brisket packer, then rendering more of the fat out of the point? I understand that’s part of the burnt-ends process, but doesn’t the rendered fat just mix with the sauce? Could the point be removed when the packer is done, then see a bit more time to render some fat? Ideas and experience GREATLY appreciated!

Cook flat, just leave a nice 1/4" fat cap and discard the fat you don't want.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
      obiQsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Will cooking the flat without the point reduce the juiciness of the flat? Or is that just a non-issue?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Non-issue. No way the point transfers its qualities to the flat. BBQ spots slice areas that are point and flat, only flat most times just get chopped up.

Eat less of it.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
      obiQsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Violates my first rule; if a little is good, a lot is better!

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
    Eat less of it.
    about the only answer i can think of. maybe when you do brisket just make it your indulgence and cut out any sides?

Comment

• obiQsmoker
      obiQsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the way you think!

Just to be pedantic here fat <> calories so no worries.

Comment

Pass on the sides.

Comment

To be honest there is nothing wrong with cutting the point off and cooking it separate from the flat. It will be done much sooner and you can make burnt ends from it to get rid of even more of the fat. Just make sure you leave as much fat that is between the two on the flat. Remember that the fat you leave on the flat does not go into the meat, It just melts and runs off.

Be careful the flat under the point is thinner than else where so you will want to wrap it with foil to slow the cooking if it is cooking much faster than the rest of it.

Finally there is a layer of fat about 2/3 down from the fat cap. Some people cut it out before smoking. I saw one of the Texas well known pit masters and KCBQ champions do this. But really if you just cut it out before you eat it you get rid of some more fat.

Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 23, 2019, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          The deckle is another name for the point. The fat layer between them is just a continuation of the fat layer, unless I have been misinformed for 40 years. If so I apologize for the misinformation. What ever fat it is you need it on the flat, the taste is the same.

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          I separated the flat and point on my last brisket and did burnt ends with the point. That's my new favorite way to cook a brisket. I've never cared for the texture & mouth feel of the point when I just cook a full packer. I eat it, but I much prefer the slices from the flat.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          mountainsmoker maybe im using the wrong word. But i thought there was a reason to trim out a lot of the fat that connects the point and the flat. And that reason is because it doesnt really render down

Pastrami is a delicious way to prepare a flat. I need to do pastrami again!

Comment

• obiQsmoker
          obiQsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep - gotta do that - haven’t yet - love pastrami!

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, me too.

I think the light bulb is starting to flicker on! Answers here + some videos I ran across on separating the point/flat are leading me to:
        - Separate the point from the flat.
        - At the wrap point, wrap the flat, put the point in a foil pan with some beef broth, cover w/foil, back to cooker.
        - Cook point further (well, hotter end temp) than flat - around 210-212 to render & tenderize.
        - Run juices from the point thru fat separator, use juices + sauce for burnt ends, or use point for "whatever".

The point is (hehe), separating the point and giving it extra time to render seems to solve my dilemma.
        Cooking the packer as one hunk, left me a really fatty point - seems it just needs some separate attention.
        Am I close, or still missing something obvious?

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not a big believer in adding any kind of liquid to meat at any point in the cook. Otherwise, solid plan.

• obiQsmoker
          obiQsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. Some were even helpful!
          ;-))

Tofurkey. Ok, not an good substitute. Actually I feel the same way about tofurkey as Steven Lynch does in his "Vegan Living" song.

Comment

Grass fed. Or lower graded meat. Should all be leaner, even in the deckle/point.

Comment

Whenever I should start to feel even a teensy bit shuldig of over fat indulgence, why, I jus pop th top on a Diet Dr. Pepper, an th entire balance of Th Universe is magically restored...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Does it have to be Dr. Pepper?
              Nope, I reckon any diet soda pop will work, in a pinch; it's only Diet Dr. Pepper that I find I can stomach, in any quantity...
              JimLinebarger

• obiQsmoker
              obiQsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m feeling the stars aligning...

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              Beer is fat free

I would shoot for a lower grade of meat, like PKB said above. I would try to find one that is already separated, because you want to the highest grade flat you can. With Prime, you are going to have a lot more fat in the point and flat than with select or choice. They will be much drier.

You can also trim more fat off the point as well.

Comment

Or, ya can ditch the carbs and enjoy the fat.

Either way.

Comment

Chase it with a Lipitor.....🤷🏼‍♂️

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here