Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more spinalis dorsi at Costco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more spinalis dorsi at Costco?

There seems to be a little confusion, but this article says that Costco will not carry the ribeye cap cuts anymore. I hope my local Costco has not heard the news. https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2...beye-caps-meat

Did the same here with prime full packers. I must admit the choice flats they carry have gotten larger.

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      To my memory, those have come and gone a few times over the years.

Hopefully this is not true!

I saw them at Costco last week, so I am hoping this won't affect the MN stores!

Comment

The ones here are blade tenderized, so I’ve never gotten one.

Comment

• jumbo7676
        jumbo7676 commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here.

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        I try to avoid the blade tenderized stuff as much as possible. Not because I have any legitimate safety concerns but more out of principle. Why do they need to tenderize a prime ribeye cap???

My Costco’s still has them and has always had the briskets.

Comment

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        Same in our local stores around San Antonio for both briskets and spinalis. I’m not a big fan of these manufactured steaks though. Some use meat glue, some are tied. I’d rather get a real steak. Again, just me.

When I get back home, I am going to Costco to check this out. Gotta get the meat guy on the horn and see if they are really dropping them at our Costco.

Comment

Yeah full briskets are gone locally and so are those. I’m forced to get chuck roasts and do pulled beef, which isn’t too terrible.

They still have whole rib sections that that you can cut in to thick steaks or divide how you like. Those whole cuts aren’t blade tenderized and much cheaper per pound than the prepped one side, so I think that’s where I’m going at Costco.

Comment

Just read the same article. Quite frankly it’s actually cheaper to buy a rib subprimal, carve out the spinalis to make your own pinwheels and have the ribeyes cut for steaks.

Comment

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I would do, but not make the pinwheels. Cut out a 10 oz cap and grill it. The pinwheels from Costco I did not like. I found the pinwheel was made up of two or three different caps. They cooked differently, tenderness was different and so was the taste from pinwheel to pinwheel.

I swung by a Florida Costco and as this blurry picture shows, they still have the ribeye caps. These were blade tenderized too. Seems silly to do that to prime beef.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	F92E7101-55F2-4B81-BBF6-21A50C2946C5.jpeg
Views:	872
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	734542

Comment

My Costco doesn't have them anymore. I loved that cut

Comment

What is with Costco and customer service lately? That used to be their thing. When I worked there, back in the day, I had store managers try and tell me to do things I couldn't do legally, because the customer demanded it. Now I can't even get someone to call me back on the phone. Very disappointing.

Comment

So I talked to my guy at the Eden Prairie, Mn Costco and he said that they will still be carrying them for the time being. However, that is certainly subject to change.

As he said, " I am a small fish in a huge ocean that is Costco. I really have no say on what we carry and it can change very quickly."

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m the big fish in no ocean. Just laying on the sand doing the tuna.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here