Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket: Split and Separated Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket: Split and Separated Results

It had been a while since I had smoked anything at home (been on a good run of grilling...) so I asked my wife to pick up a prime brisket when she was at Costco. She came home with a nice 10.5 pounder and, since there are only four of us at home, I thought I would do something new to save some of the brisket for later. The last couple times I made a whole packer we had leftovers for days, with some of it being eaten morning, noon and night

I thought the brisket overall was trimmed quite nicely in the crovac, so I had to do very little fat trimming myself. I split the brisket down the middle and the on each half separated the point from the flat. I took one point and one flat and individually wrapped them in saran wrap and foil, labeled the foil with a Sharpie and put them in the freezer.

Here is a picture of the remaining point and flat that I cooked: I folded the flat over to give an idea of what it looked like from the side. The flat weighed 2.7 pounds and the point 2.1

Click image for larger version

Name:	03113D02-6457-43DE-856B-5F057F8C0A69_zpsr84lhkem.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	73245

Needless to say, these are not large cuts of meat by this point. With two cuts of meat less than three pounds each, I figured these would take no more than six hours to complete. Boy was I wrong!

The meat was rubbed first with vegetable oil and then with a combo of Salt Lick rub and Texas Roadhouse Sirloin seasoning. My family has complained about the pepperiness of the Salt Lick rub so I wanted to add a little sweetness to offset.

I got the Weber kettle/smokenator up to temp and added the meat by around 9am. I put the flat piece on the main grate and then put the point above it on my homemade Hovenator. I probed the flat, thinking that it would cook first and then sat back to watch some basketball.

By 10:30, the IT had hit 154 and the stall began. I figured with these small cuts that I would not crutch and that the stall shouldn't last too long. Bad assumption! Actually I was wrong on two counts: first, I decided to pull out my Weber meat thermometer to probe the point just for the hell of it. It turned out that it was cooking faster and so I pulled the point off the cooker (195IT) at 5pm (8 hours later) to make burnt ends for the first time.

The flat meanwhile was only at 175 at this point!

For the burnt ends, after resting for 30 minutes in a faux cambro, I sliced the point into 1 inch cubes and preheated a 12 inch cast iron skillet on the stove. I threw the cubes in there and added some BBQ sauce (two types actually as my favorite the Meyer's Elgin sauce ran out) and more sirloin seasoning. I stirred up the mixture and stirred it again about every five minuted for a total of about 25 minutes. By this time, my wife was home from shopping and my boys (13 and 15) were beyond ready to eat!

Needless to say - especially with the extra bark from cooking the point seperately - the burnt ends were delectable. Here is a picture of them cooking

Name:	43F47044-314B-4A6A-A506-13720E656111_zpsqbejejud.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	73246

After we ate, it was about time for my wife and I to leave for the movies. I had seriously misjudged the time it would take to cook as the flat was at about 190 IT at this point. I really had no choice, so I pulled it and wrapped it. It was about 6:45 at this point so the small flat had been cooking for nearly 10 hours.

It was late when we got home, so I just unwrapped the flat and put it in the fridge. This morning I took it out and sliced it very thinly. While not super tender, it has a great flavor. I can put a couple thin slices in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds and it tastes great. Note in the pics below these slices are cold.

I think the splitting and separating method works well for our family of four. The real final verdict will come in when I defrost and cook the frozen half, but from what I understand from others on this site, freezing shouldn't hurt the quality too bad if you wrapped it tight.

Name:	169E43DD-39DB-4ADB-84E7-8BCF3D83E8C6_zpstzx0aip7.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	73247

Nice burnts!!!

Comment

Looks good, since the heat has to penetrate the thickest part, cutting lengthwise will do almost nothing to the time it takes to cook for future reference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here