Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast, again

Not many pot roasts sold in the dog days of August, so the bargain bin at the supermarket had a really nice 1-bone chuck roast, deeply discounted. And me with a Sunday available.

Saturday: Salt, pepper, garlic salt rub, and into the refer. Sunday 9:30 AM: Fire up the Smokenator-equipped Weber Kettle, along with the Fireboard and BBQ Guru fan, start some coals and dig out some mesquite.

Target pit temp 225. 10:00 AM meat on, fresh out of the fridge. Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-18 10.16.09.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	732202

Everything goes fine until a programming error by this idiot operator shuts down my Fireboard and fan about 1 PM. Click image for larger version

Name:	File Aug 19, 9 17 52 AM.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	732205 I find out about it at 1:30, restart, and everything is good.

Off to a local pub for a beer. Stall begins about 2, I'm home about 3 to wrap. Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-18 15.14.41.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	732204

207F at 6:15, rest a bit and serve. Not much smoke ring, but dandy flavor, serve with homemade potato salad. Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-18 18.38.32.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	732203

I recommend this cut especially when discounted, it's excellent and makes great leftovers.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    Guy

I always go to the discount bin (managers specials) whenever I go to my local grocery store. Whenever I find Chuck, Tri-Tip (not very often), or nice steaks i snatch them up.

I smoked a Chuck (1st time) about 1 month ago. I was really impressed with the flavor. Great job on your Chucky.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I find getting to local grocery store at 7-8:00 on a Sat morning usually nets me a couple of discounted pork butts or shoulders and chuck roasts.
      Yeah, I know its kinda early but 7 or 8 hours later well worth it.

Did my second chuck today. Same situation as the first time I smoked a chuck: got called in to work.

Last time it was in the stall and wrapped. This time it was right after I put it on the grill.

Last time I got home and it was at 224°. This time I got home and it was at the stall. Wrapped and took to 209°.

Both this and last time it was phenomenal after taking off the grill and an hour in a false cambro. Best cut that I've smoked yet.

Comment

Just had smoked chuckie for dinner tonight. Usually If I am going to burn up the charcoal I will cook at least two or often four at a time. Then I vacuum seal and freeze what we aren't going to eat right away. Then sometime later throw one in the refrigerator to have available for an easy meal. Dice it, throw it in the oven in a cast iron pan for about 20 minutes at 350. Makes fantastic tacos. I know this is probably sacrilege, but I prefer chuckies to brisket. They are just so much easier. There I said it.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Your not alone.
        As far as taste goes I still give it to brisket by a nose, but I agree chuckies are so much easier to smoke.
        Probably do one again this weekend.

I love brisket, but it's just the two of us around here. A brisket isn't really a brisket unless it's whole, and while I love both parties and leftovers, well, it's too big for smoking all the time.

A nice chuck, like the one I did up here, does a nice meal, a couple of sandwiches, and the remainder, cubed, can either be done like faux burnt ends (foil pan, tossed in your sauce of choice and cooked on the gasser or in the oven for an hour or so) or dumped into a pan with fried potatoes and onions for hash, served around here with a couple of eggs on top.

Anyway, that's 3 very satisfying meals for me and SWMBO out of a very reasonably priced hunk o' beef. Beef: it's what's for dinner, lunch, and breakfast.

Guy

Comment

I recommend that cut no matter what, one of my favorites !! Remember the motto; CHEAP MEATS MAKE GOOD EATS !!!!!

Comment

Just took two out of the freezer last night to get ready for the weekend, will go on the grill on Saturday if my plans don't go sideways!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here