Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inaugural California Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inaugural California Cook

And of course, it was tri-tip! Each was about 2 lb, ran the PartyQ at about 250°. I was right at 135° after the sear. No wood, my wife isn't a fan on the short cooks.

Now we see what the hype is about! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190818_165107.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	731922Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190818_165246.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.49 MB ID:	731923Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190818_172849.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.82 MB ID:	731924

Looks really good, tri tip is on my agenda next weekend.
    My wife doesn't mind the wood but it had better be ready right on time, something I can't really promise all the time.

Comment

Tri-tip is not a favorite of mine it has 3 muscles that must be cut separately to be tender. It needs to be seared after a period on the cool side of the grill to 110-120 and seared on the hot side to a med-rare of 130-135. No more. Yours looks good, but I can see where the different muscles are and where you need to separate them to cut them across the grain.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 18, 2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe it's just one muscle, the tensor fasciae latae, that has grain that runs in two directions usually changing at the tip of the triangular section. You are correct though, you need to pay attention while carving.

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman it appears you are correct, I cannot find the source that said it was 3 different muscles. Thank you for pointing that out to me. I never want to put out incorrect info.

Yum, looks good and juicy.

Comment

Great lookin' cook.

Comment

Looks absolutely great! Tri tip is my favorite.

Comment

Nicely done. Looks delicious. I love TT. Cutting off a slice, running it through the cutting board juices, popping it into my mouth and savoring that rich beef taste...... priceless.

I was just outside of SD today judging at the Del Mar Turf and Surf BBQ championship.

Comment

• tdimond
              tdimond commented
              Editing a comment
              I heard that advertised but forgot it was today.

Looks real good! I’m a big fan of tri tip.

Comment

Nicely done. Love the tri tip

Comment

I ordered some red oak specifically for tri-tip. I like a little oak flavor with beef and the red oak smoke on the patio reminds me of my days living in Central California.

Comment

Looks great! What was the rub? Cooking some tonight on the gasser with Mrs. O'Leary's.

Comment

• tdimond
                    tdimond commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just followed the rub from the free site: paprika, granulated garlic, and pepper. I dry-brined for about two days ahead of time.

A California (and now Texas, well this Texan anyway) favorite !! Got two of them in my freezer, will have to "liberate" one this week end. Good work my man !!

Comment

I finally got my first from the butcher Friday, in the freezer since I didn't have time to cook it over the weekend. Maybe this weekend though. Good looking piece of meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here