Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

28 days........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28 days........

Well guys and gals. 28 days ago I sent myself out on a venture to try the Umai dry age thingy.
    Pics to follow of course.
    But here are my observations first. 😬😁

I got a 13.7lb CAB boneless ribeye roast from Restaurant Depot. Obviously a month ago.
    Took it straight from the cryovac 🤔 to the Umai bag. So far so good. 👍

Soooo today, yup it’s 28 days later, looking at the pics I am at 28 days. Whoohoo. Let’s see what this is all about.

Well after unwrapping this, hmm, seemingly dried out piece of meat. There was absolutely no off odors. Almost no smell at all.
    A good thing I think.

Now the undauntingly task of slicing away all of the "bark", funky stuff from the outer layer of the roast.

I found this really rich, dense, beautiful piece of meat.
    Really getting excited now. 😃😃

I than cut this roast into aprox. 2” thick steaks. Give or take. 😬

The feel of the raw meat is exceptional. Soft, dense and Playable.

The down side is I started with 13.7lbs of meat. After trimming I wound up with just a tick over 7lbs of steaks. So this is not a cheap adventure.

Each steak is aprox. 11.5-13.5oz. Sooo being the pig 😂 that I am. I will be making 2 of these tonight.
    Disclaimer. My wife will not try this experiment. 🥴
    So I have a 12oz filet mignon, of which she will only eat half, more for me. 😁😁😂👍

Anyway. I have decided to SV these steaks and reverse sear them so as to not over cook them.
    I will update this post after the cook. 👊👊

So finally the pics. 😁 Click image for larger version

Name:	C4125DE4-B4F0-4BF1-A380-A4CAD425A892.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	731772Click image for larger version

Name:	8E6854BC-72AB-4264-9DB4-A88D48D916FB.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	731773Click image for larger version

Name:	57DE7131-663B-42D7-8ED8-62000B00B123.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	731776Click image for larger version

Name:	1078C6B7-2BC2-4B34-8994-018A824A7120.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	731774Click image for larger version

Name:	1DD4B7CC-50B0-498D-8B5D-EA4EF8293ED3.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	731777Click image for larger version

Name:	3669B5C4-E01E-4255-9C19-18E26F070D54.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	731775Click image for larger version

Name:	9B86A816-E672-4F20-9786-101E5981C68B.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	731778Click image for larger version

Name:	72317203-DE62-43A0-88F0-0277B978633E.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	731779

Cool! Can’t wait to hear the results of the next step of cooking them and seeing the results.

Comment

Outstanding color on the pellicle! And I think your cook method is right on formthese! That’s how I do my dry aged ribeyes. They come out great that way.

Ive also began to leave some of the pellicle on the cuts. It has actually provided a bit of textural difference. Even my wife and kids are ok with some left on.

And the fat! Save it, render it down and make beef love out of it! You will love it! And the trimmings, grind some up when you make burgers! 😁

Comment

Congratulations on giving the dry-aging a try. We've really enjoyed our efforts with the Umai dry bags. I found the pellicle to be the absolute best beef jerky that I had ever tasted. Save it for your ground beef, or for you soup fixings.

Comment

O'ny God, Cook that baby direct heat rare, med-rare at most. You just spent 28 days making it tender and flavorful. W hy the hell are you SVing, the aging does the work of the SV. Every great steakhouse in the US is turning over in their graves. That steak is going to be as tender as butter without SV. Have you ever tasted an aged steak, I have. It is a totally unique experience. I have tasted up to a 45 day aged sirloin. It is a totally unique experience.

Well good luck which ever way you go. I hope you enjoy it.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 18, 2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Sous vide cooking and dry aging are two mutually exclusive methods of preparing meat. One is independent of the other.

I look forward to your thoughts. Dry aging, while I like reading of you, Henrik & Troutman's (et al) experiences doing it, doesn't interest me and most likely never will. But what's cool is reading about ways to do things that we personally don't find interesting and seeing how much others enjoy it (or finding out that they do not) and learning more about it. I hope you enjoy it!

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            No Huskee I was talking about the weather coming in. Look at the following post. 👍

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, Roger that. Yikes, stay safe & dry my friend! Don't hold any tall metal poles. Steve B

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee I’m 6’7”. Might just be the tallest thing around. 😂😂

Click image for larger version

Name:	3CD62299-AA70-4CB5-9A18-8C6843F4A53C.png
Views:	186
Size:	464.5 KB
ID:	731869

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Ruh-Roh!

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Stay safe

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            SteveB be safe It has already has dumped tons of rain on eastern SC and torn up trees in eastern NC. Take care and be safe.

I have to say. As a final result for me this dry aged deal is not really all it’s cracked up to be.

Does it have a "beefier" flavor. Yes.
          Is it more tender. I didn’t get that with mine.
          Maybe it was my cooking process. But I think not. I could be wrong though.

Did/does it look incredible? Absolutely.

In the end I will go with a traditional 24hr dry brined steak. Reversed seared.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

Agree or disagree that’s Your prerogative

Anyway. Here’s the final result. Click image for larger version

Name:	79E15979-CFED-4941-8E23-DBFB0EACCC89.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	732016

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            You and a few others confirm my own suspicions. Thank you for sharing your test.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee Anytime. You know I’m always here to help if and when I can. 👍

Welcome to the Umai club!!! Maybe try going longer next time, perhaps the 28 day window didn't develop that additional flavor you were expecting. My only reason for not going longer is the meat tends to get too dense and dehydrated for my palette. Hard to discern tenderness on a piece of meat that already tender.

At the end of the day, it's what's good for you and your family's taste. At least you can say you gave it a try !!!

Comment

How did you cook it. May be some one on here can provide some insight. It does need to be direct seared and then reverse seared to no more than 130. I actually prefer it rare at 125.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 19, 2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              can you explain "direct seared and then reverse seared"?

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              My mistake reverse cooked..

It looks pretty doggone good. I am still on the fence about trying this - I am good with dry brine, reverse sear - cold grate with a good cut of meat. But like Troutman says - it is probably worth a try.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I think it was definitely worth the try. But I’m not sure I will do it again.
              I decide after a couple more of those steaks get eaten.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here