Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help with brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help with brisket

My brisket has been at IT 196° for over an HR. It's been smoking at 225+/- for 15 hours. I wrapped it in butcher paper when it was 159° IT.
    Do you think it could be done? Or should I wait until it is at 203°?
    Before trimming, it was 16 pounds.

Probe it should be like warm butter. Temp/time not as important as tender. It depends on the piece of meat 190 to 205.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Boy, you must have beat me by 15 seconds. Totally agree with your post

Check with the probe for tenderness and then decide. If the probe goes into the meat sort of buttery it is done. You aren’t shooting for an exact temp, more the right doneness.

Comment

Ok thank you. Yep probe goes in easy.
      I'll put it in cooler now.

Comment

Butter butter butter lol. It still cooks when removed.

Comment

Yes thank you. I'm so hungry. I put this thing on at 3:15 this morning. Been smelling it all day. Oh I can't wait. My first brisket. When I wrapped it, it looked amazingly delighous. I nearly cut me off a chunk.
          i practiced last week end smoking a Boston butt for 9 hrs. It was great except I should have smoked that at 275° I've learned.
          I'm using Fogo lump with amazing results. Not hard to maintain temp once I get it dialed in.
          Still enough charcoal to cook corn on the cob while the meat is in the cooler.
          Can't believe how long the lump charcoal burns. I haven't had to add any in 15 hours so far.
          Great stuff.

Comment

Today. Brisket 13 lbs. 350f in 3 hours... getter done.. whos says you can't build bark hot n fast...
            Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              holehogg No South Afrikan ties but the owner is Dutch...

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Makes sense then Afrikaans comes from the Dutch.

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen brother

So in a water smoker, is there any advantage of wrapping with foil versus butcher paper? According to a Texan, the butcher paper gives a better bark than foil.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m going to disagree respectfully. I wrap mine in foil when the bark is set and has the color I want, but I wrap it tightly. It’ll still form more bark while in the foil plus you’ll collect the jus that you can then pour over your meat when you slice it. Yes, the bark will be a little softer but I don’t like a firm bark when I am slicing.

• JPGators17
              JPGators17 commented
              Editing a comment
              A Dawg disagreeing with a Gator? First time for everything I suppose. However, I don't think we're in too much of a disagreement, as I personally don't think that paper is significantly better than foil. I've used foil plenty, and while I can detect the difference, 99% of the F&F I serve can't. P.S. whether I use foil or paper, i now always have it in an aluminum pan so that I don't lose a drop of that 'jus.

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha. Good times!

The Texan is right. That's how we do it up here in the Great NW also.

Comment

Well here it is. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_195627.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	731474Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_195614.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	731476Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_195415.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	731475

Comment

• Smoking77
                Smoking77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks great! You happy with the end result?

• Joetee
                Joetee commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I am very happy with it. Though I think brisket is a little over priced. That sucker was $92. I think a good chunk roast is similar and much less expensive.
                I will get another one though if I catch then on sale.

Congrats on first Brisket cook. Looks real good. Another protein in your repertoire.

Comment

That looks amazing I have only tried brisket once and it turned out like leather I haven’t gotten round to trying again but that looks awesome enjoy 😊

Comment

Just to let you all know, even after the next day reheating in the microwave, I can cut this meat with a butter knife. So tender and juicy. For my first every brisket I am really pleased.
                  Thank you all for all advice.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                    ColonialDawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice job. It looks delicious. Just a little tip for your next brisket - slice it perpendicular to the grain. I like to notch one of the corners of the flat against the grain so I know how and where to start slicing. When you get to the junction with the point, turn that sucker about 90 degrees to slice perpendicular to the point.

If you like brisket, cook a short rib plate, aka Dino Ribs. It’ll change your life.

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good job. I remember the first time I nailed a brisket - I almost cried. Me almost crying - not a pretty sight. I agree with ColonialDawg on the short ribs. They are a beautiful thing, and much less than 92 bucks.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here