Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In need of a Pro tip for a 2" ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of a Pro tip for a 2" ribeye

OK, big thick steak. 2" ribeye.

a. Front sear?
    b. Reverse sear?
    c. Med-high temp straight through cook?

Thanks!

Without question. Reverse sear.
    What are you cooking it on?

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Go indirect as best you can @ 200-225* till you get an IT of 120*. Than get those coals roaring hot. You can use a hair dryer if you donโ€™t have a bbq dragon. Than sear, turning every 30 seconds until you get your desired crust and the IT is to your liking. I usually go for 132-135*. For a nice medium rare.

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hair Dryer? Go big or go home Steve B. I use a leaf blower.

๐Ÿ‘รฐลธยยป๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿค˜รฐลธยยผ

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      ssandy_561 ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘

Reverse sear.

Comment

Reverse sear or SV (essentially a reverse sear) for sure.

Comment

Here's what I've done with great results: dry brine 3-4 hrs with kosher salt, fire up the pellet pooper to 225 with fruitwood or alder and warm it to 120 IT, remove to a wire rack for 10-15 minutes then pat dry with paper towels, give it light coat of avocado oil and a bit of S&P then sear off on a suitably hot flat surface (usually my gasser with GrillGrates)

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Double bingo.

• lizzybbq
          lizzybbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Started dry brine @ 2:00 will hit the heat around 5:00

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Finished IT should be 130 or so, but I never check as I go by what the crust looks like. I've never really overshot the IT to where I've noticed it much, but it would be worth it to me if I get that perfect crust.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Definitely reverse sear. Take to 120 and sear 2-3 minutes a side should end up at about 130-135 for a perfect med-135. You can use an instant read thermometer with a steak this thick. Please let it rest so the heat from the sear will equalize throughout the steak for about 5 mins. You can use an instant read thermometer in a steak this thick.

Comment

On a 2รขโ‚ฌย thick steak, cooked at 200-225, there should be very little carryover cooking, especially with a short rest before searing. If I wanted a final 130 IT, I would cook at 200 up to 128 IT. Rest 10 minutes, pat dry, sear over my SnS filled with coals.

Comment

Think that's what I'll do.
              Plan is 225F about 30 min on a pellet grill, meat up to about 120F. Finish sear on charcoal shooting for 135F.
              30 seconds and about 3 min, flippin like I mean it, fast and furious.
              That's the plan anyway! (said nervously)

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't miss.

Thanks again everyone.
              Its not to just have a plan its to believe in that plan... I'm all in.

Comment

That's it, I'm getting some 2 inchers next week!!

Comment

Front sear IMHO. Sorry rear sear boys. Reason - with smaller cuts of beef (2.5 lbs or less), you control the caramelization better. Caramelize to your liking and slid over to indirect and finish. Larger cuts like rib roasts, Iโ€™d rear sear.

Comment

• lizzybbq
                    lizzybbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks TB. I have not tried a front sear on anything yet, but want to. Your info was exactly why I asked the question. Will do eventually. Much appreciated!

• Razor
                    Razor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Starting to see that advantage of that...

BTW All. This site is the s%*t!

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yup, this post is what it's all about. Help each other out, crack a few jokes, and enjoy our camaraderie.

Keeping it short. Best in house steak I've had. Thought it went a bit too long at first but it was like butter.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I know I'm really late to th party, but b.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here