Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot and fast brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My KJ holds moisture so well that if I cook a brisket at 225 it will almost have no stall and be an ugly greyish brown when it hits 200 IT. My cooks have evolved through cooking at 250 and wrapping after the stall to cooking at 300 with no wrap until probe tender. I then wrap it in foil and faux Cambro for at least 2 hours. The later method has so far given me very good results. I may well try the 400 degree method when my next brisket has finished wet aging.
    Last edited by Oak Smoke; August 15, 2019, 05:12 PM.

Comment

IMO one part of the equation to hot-n-fast brisket success is the grade of meat you're using. Most of the vids I have watched, they are use prime packers or better. There's more fat content and they can better handle the higher temps. If you're using a choice or select grade brisket, you will probably be better off going the low-n-slow route. Just my opinion.

Comment

• binarypaladin
        binarypaladin commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a really good consideration. I've only ever used Prime packers.

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        The past 5 briskets I’ve cooked have all been on the PBC. They were choice black angus from restaurant depot. They were all dry brined and cooked at 300-325F, turned out great. I did wrap and they were done in approx 5 hrs. Rested in cooler ~2hrs. The last brisket I did was injected with moisture magic, best one I’ve done thus far. All done with different rubs. I don’t disagree with you, just saying I’ve had success with BAC full packers on the PBC.

Fact: I’ve seen a 4 hour brisket take first place.

Fact: Ive seen people wait in line for 7+ hours for wrapped brisket.

Opinion: I’m a purist, I prefer to not wrap anything. When I sell I cook hot and fast with wrap. When I compete I cook hot and fast with wrap. When my schedule is clear (almost never), and I have all day or night to cook, I don’t wrap.

I feel like the bark forming is more to do with the rub than the fire, but the fire plays a crucial role. Heavy SP, or SPG, or BBBR, or whatever. When I don’t wrap the bark is more of a crust, so the wrap softens the crust making it far more enjoyable to judges and consumers alike.

I am of the opinion that brisket can take a lot of rub before being overpowered. Every case of my brisket is sold before it goes on the cooker, so right or wrong, it’s a method that works, and the are a lot of methods that work. Find one that works for you, whatever it is, stick to it until it’s perfected, then if you’re interested, find another.

And when you have a 35 degree brisket and company arriving in 3 1/2 hours, give me a call.

Comment

• binarypaladin
        binarypaladin commented
        Editing a comment
        I dunno that it’s wrong if people love to eat it. What else are we cooking for? I’m starting to wonder if maybe some people cook purely as devotion to some kind of method which is... super weird.

It’s going to take a bit to process what this post just did. It started out at hot n’ fast, moved to low n’slow, then back & forth, then Ahumadora drops a bomb on us. That meat festival makes what I’ve seen of a bbq fest as a stuffed shirt affair. That was mind blowing. Then we go back to hot n fast. OKaaaaay! Gimme some time. I’ll get back to ya’ll.
      I think IowaGirl had the best handle on things. What did we do before thermapens & probes & mavericks & covers for that matter. And please don’t mention the knuckle dragging cave man dunge. 🕶
      Last edited by FireMan; August 16, 2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I’m mostly amazed by all of this. I’d be down to try this myself. I usually just SVQ briskets but this could be fun. (Costco finally has brisket again.) Certainly a good excuse for a kamado or a PK360, lol. I need to get a fund started.

I’m in no way a purist. The best part of cooking is a party full of people having a good time eating what I cook. I don’t claim to be a pro, but I’ve become good enough that no one I know or work with will typically turn down an invite! Point is, virtually none of them have opinions about "real" BBQ.

Comment

It’s the only way I cook brisket on my 26 inch Kettle. I get good bark, and the meat is tender and smokey with a nice thick smoke ring. I like it as much as any brisket cooked low and slow.

Comment

12 lbs. 3 hours @ 350f. Need I say more....
            Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              KA-BOOM!!!!
              Low and slow is great but sometimes I just want instant gratification....
              that would be the perfect example!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here